Before I Forget

{Sophia}

Seriously, how hard is it to sneak out of your own house? I've been doing it for years. Usually I had Evie by my side, and trying to escape from the one other person who knows every nook and cranny of the house is difficult.

She seemed to be everywhere I went, and I was just getting more annoyed because of the constant vibration of my phone in my pocket. I didn't need to look at it to know that it was Calum, I was already late to meet him, and the guys, but what does he want me to do about it?

"Soph, what the hell are you doing?" Evie asked from behind me, making me jump ten feet from behind the cabinet I was kneeling next to.

Shit, I thought she was in the kitchen. I looked around me, trying to think up an excuse that was plausible, then I saw something. Perfect.

"I was just trying to get my charger," I said pulling it from the wall, "I have to go out, and I don't know when I'll be back."

She looked at me questioningly, it's like I could see her mind working, the wheels turning, trying to work out if I was actually lying or not. See, Evie has a gift, I don't think she even realises she has it, her ability to read people, know if they're lying or not, knowing how they feel, honestly, even if they are saying the opposite.

She never told our mum and dad about it. I wanted to once, I think it's incredible, and that she should embrace it completely. Unfortunately, when I tried to talk about it with her, she just got annoyed, saying she wasn't different, that she wasn't special in any way, that she was just her, and no different to anyone else.

It made me sad, I knew Evie had had some problems in school because of her 'gut instinct', which is what she liked to call it. Not realising that not everyone was as in tune to others emotions as she was, she was just extremely honest with everything.

Evie never hid anything, she was never ashamed of being who she was, not really, so she would try to talk to people, help them but not every person wants help, and rumours started, along with the bullying. It never really got to her though, she would just shrug it off saying they only did it because 'they're hurting inside'.

I personally would never understand how people can be so cruel, and frankly a little stupid. 'Witch!' They used to whisper, whenever they would see her talking quietly with someone. 'You shouldn't talk to her, she'll curse you forever.' Honestly, she was just nice, and would try to be friends with anyone. Especially if she saw they were alone, and had no one, that was Evie's weak spot. Loners.

She would never call them that though, she just said they were misunderstood, and she didn't blame them for not talking to other people because trusting someone is hard. I used to smile watching her as she spoke to someone new, so proud that my sister never cared for others opinions, or the words they would yell at her every day. She didn't care about herself, just if the other person was okay.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"Just Calum's." I replied with a shrug.

"I didn't know he was doing anything today. Is it a private party?" Evie grinned.

I scoffed quickly, "ha, no."

"Oh, so I can come with you then?" She walked towards her coat slowly.

"No!" I hold my hands up, eyes wide, and she raises her eyebrows at me, "umm, okay, it's sort of private."

"Boom, I knew it." She waves her arms in the air, doing this weird hip dance thing.

"Okay, chill. It's not like that."

"Yeah, and I hate cartoons." She said with hands on her hips.