Chapter Eleven

The Past

(Week 3) Wednesday, 8:21am. The police were still investigating the disappearance of Komako Funakoshi as the parents were still not giving up for their daughter. Ryoba read her favorite manga while her mind replayed the memory about Senpai’s novel. Although they have different interests doesn’t mean they weren’t perfect together. Ryoba clinging onto her thought of Senpai as the one for her. 

She wouldn’t lose to someone who is a nerd who likes Senpai by how popular he is. Senpai is only mine, and mine alone. No one will give the feeling of love more than him. Her eyes overflowed with tears, wanting this boy for a long time. “Have you ever felt no one love you, and you saw the one that you dreamt about being with?” Ryoba was in Togo’s class as the boy listened to her sorrowful, hopeless words. “He was the only one I love. Because I can feel love when I’m near him. All around me is pink, just like a fairytale of a princess and a prince.”

Togo didn’t look at the girl as he talked. “No, I have my brother. However, I don’t have parents. I remembered my brother told me they were killed by someone, but that day I was just a toddler. So I couldn’t remember anything,” he said as Ryoba was envied by how great he could have a brother who loved him. Ryoba could only feel bitterness in her life except…

Hey sis, thanks for buying ice cream for me! 

“You okay?” He asked the yandere as he saw the tears on her cheeks. Ryoba wiped it with her sleeve and proceeded to walk with him to class. “Recently you don’t look in your best shape. Do you want to have a break from school?” Ryoba sighed. What was the use to stop school? All she went to school was to look afar to see her crush. 

“I don’t know why I've been so depressed,” the yandere said with a sigh at the end of her sentence. “I need to go now, see you at 3:30,” she left as the police also left his class. At least he wasn’t asked by them or else he would get irritated. 

(Week 3) Wednesday, 6:21pm. “Are you sure she’s going to be okay? She looks like she’s going to die,” Togo said as seeing Komako blindfolded with no movement detected. “I think you should let go of her,” Ryoba took the cloth that covered her eyes and the tape that sealed her lips. 

“Yesterday you’re the one who made her so bloody to the point she wanted to die,” Ryoba wasn’t wrong at all. Togo sighed in defeat as he was also involved in her immoral actions. “Tomorrow I’ll bring her to school. I estimated her sanity is really low now,” Komako in fact didn’t curse at them as she obediently sat there. “Now tell me, would you kill Honami Hodoshima?” 

Ryoba gave Komako a knife as she held it. “Yes…” The yandere took the knife and was enthusiastic that the girl would kill her rival. Togo was terrified (and amazed) how she can be superb in mind breaking someone. “Kill...Honami…” the victim was once a beautiful girl with a cheery smile, now she’s a broken mind slave who would obey what Ryoba said. 

“I was wondering...How do you and your brother survive?” She asked, looking at him with his eyes losing interest to fear this. “When I heard your story, I know how tough it is,” He sighed as the two wanted to talk in a more comfortable and brighter place. 

“Why do you want to know so much?” He asked as he was uncomfortable to let people know how he doesn’t have parents and only his brother as his guardian. “If you know about me, I think you wouldn’t want me after this,” Ryoba smiled as she wanted to know him more for some reason. 

“After I cried in front of you, I felt I wanted to know you more,” she took his hands with hers as he felt his body heating up. “I felt we built a trust so we can work together to eliminate my rival,” she smiled, thinking about Senpai. “But also out of curiosity,” she let go as Togo was convinced to tell her more about him. He looked at her eyes, mostly she wanted to know him more. 

“Takeshi did tell me someone killed our parents but she didn’t kill us. He also told me I always cry for my mom and dad when they lay on the floor, I remembered that.” 

"Togo, are you hungry?" Takeshi asked as the young boy smiled at his teenage brother. 

"It's alright! I know you worked so hard to earn it," he said cheerfully but both of the brothers heard the younger one's stomach grumbling. "I'm fine actually. You don't need to worry," he smiled but Takeshi insisted on stealing food at the market. 

Since he was only fifteen years old, it was hard to find a job that he's capable of doing. Well, at least he can help at the restaurant to wash the dishes. But it wasn't enough if they needed to survive during cold seasons. With limited clothes, it was hard for them. 

"Wow! Did you buy this?!" Togo was amazed they were able to have fish for dinner. "Or…did you steal it, bro?" Togo, who is already 11, asked his older brother when he reached his adulthood. Takeshi smiled and patted his head. 

"I earned it, Togo. I got a job that could make us able to eat enough," he said with a cheery smile as the younger brother smiled enthusiastically as his brother found a job and was safe. Little did Togo know that his brother is a yakuza who ransom innocent people and kill for money. 

"Takeshi! I want to be just like you!" Togo, who is in his middle school years proclaimed to be a yakuza as the elder brother, got furious with him. "Wouldn't it be cool?! I can protect you just like you protected me for all these years!" 

His flames went down by his words as he knew his brother wanted to protect him. "Togo, you know my job is dangerous. I want you to have a job which would never involve with murder and illegal things that break the law of our country." 

"Yeah I know! But I just want to be at your place so you won't risk your life," Togo smiled, wanting his brother to do what he wishes rather than only protecting him. Takeshi sighed, how naive of a brother he had. 

"Our life is okay now. So that's why I wanted to be a yakuza. It wasn't the job I'm passionate about, it's about my brother. I don't want him to just live his life only taking care of me," Togo felt happy now. It felt all those feelings were taken out of him, otherwise it would leak out like a bottle with a crack. 

"Wow, you guys really do care for each other. Not like my family…except my little sister. She's the only one I love and now…" Ryoba clenched her hands as she thought of her sister. 

"Mom! Where's Nanako?" 

"Don't worry, she's at her friend's house having a slumber party." 

"Mom, I'm worried now. Where is she?" 

"I already said! She's alright, Ryoba!" 

"What have you done to her?!" 

"I…I think you need to tell me about your family. Ever since you looked unhappy was because of them. Then tell me about your past if it bothers you," Togo's purple eyes concern his friend as she could see how genuine he would willingly hear her story. But she was too afraid to reveal her past, what she really is. 

"I just don't know if you're close enough. I have some trust issues with people around me. Although you're really open and friendly, it wasn't easy to tell you how I live my life," Togo understood. He has also been through like Ryoba. 

"I understand. You should rest now," he waved, saying goodbye to Ryoba. He left Aishi at her house, thinking about her decision. She felt she made the wrong decision.