Chapter 6: The World Getting More Complicated

A Saturday morning that should have been peaceful isn't peaceful as expected because there is construction going on at my neighbor's. I need to wake the hell up so early though last night I was out and got super wasted; I thought I could sleep in today.

The bang! bang! bang! sound enforces me, who has been trying to tug myself in the blanket tighter to go on with my sleep, spring up from my bed because I can't stand the machine noise any longer. I walk to the bathroom to do my morning routine: brush my teeth, wash my face, take a shower. Even if today is my day off, I'll still have to go help mom downstairs.

I'm walking downstairs while drying my hair with a towel after I finish showering. Mom places lots of breakfast on the table, but she is still busy in the kitchen so I call her...

"Mom! Let's eat!"

"One sec. I'm making veggie soup."

"Where's dad?"

"At the back garden watering plants."

We only have three persons in this household, why has she made lots of food? These will become leftovers as always.

I put the rice on the plates for mom and dad, then I prepare another plate for myself. Not quite long that dad finally walks inside and sits at the dining table following mom who has just put a bowl of veggie soup on it.

Buzzzz... buzzz..

My phone vibrates so I pick it up to see who's calling. It's a Line call from Teh.

"Hello. What's up?" I accept the call and respond.

(Dude, what should we do with Sila and A-Po now?)

"Yeah. I'm taut by that too. Will my project survive this?"

(You manage it! You're the director. Go talk to them.)

"Okay. I'll settle this myself."

(Okay. That's it. I'll hang up now.)

I hang up the phone and am about to take a bite, suddenly mom asks me,

"Do you have troubles with friends?"

"It's about friends at the uni, mom. It's nothing. I didn't fight with them, they fight each other."

"You guys should talk it out. Calm down before settling the problem. If you talk when you're hot-tempered, things will get worse." Mom says it with a tranquil voice. Because she doesn't like getting into a fight, she will always choose to be the calmer one as she doesn't want to argue with dad. It's clearly seen when she and dad have a dispute, she will be the silent one. She will let dad gets loud as much as he wants, when he calms down, she will approach and talk.

"Okay, mom. Don't worry. I can manage it. Not a big deal." I smile at her before going on eating. Being cheerful as I act, doesn't tell what I am thinking inside. Actually, It's quite a mess in my head right now.

I don't even know if I'd die before they finally managed.

Bing!

A Line notification from A-Po

A-Po: Karn, please help me make up with the lil bro.

Sila hasn't even reached out to me!

I laugh out loud after reading A-Po's text. I hurry up with my meal and ask mom to go back to my bedroom. I text A-Po back immediately.

Karn: Okay, bro.

A-Po: Can you come to meet me? I'm at the Cafe in front of the Uni.

Karn: Okay. One sec.