Chapter 3: Lift Off

The sun shone from halfway up the sky. A brown plane with four wings came in, nose pitched up and wheels set for the ground. The little plane smoothly touched the pavement and slowed down not far from the hangar's mouth. Slowly the aircraft was turned around to face the runway. The double engines shut off, and minutes later all four propellers slowed to a halt. Hakku climbed outside. He grinned at the white letters painted underneath the cockpit windows.

CAPTAIN DESTINY

"It looks like Destiny's first flight went well," Marianne noted.

Hakku spun around. He put his hands on his hips and let the wind stir his curly locks under his cap.

"Yes, ma'am! She's flying great! Nothing went wrong during the pre-flight. Her yoke is similar to Lightning Strike's. But her landing gear controls remind me of Bubble Jet and Snow. The rudder pedals are reminiscent of Bubble Jet's especially. Checking the oil and fuel was not that different from Snow. The throttle and fuel mixture controls look like they could have come from Pyrotechnic. The wings and flaps definitely remind me of Ribbons. Overall the wiring is similar to Electrolytes. The window tints are as good as those on Sunstone. I have yet to see if she flies as well as Moonstone does at night. And of course this paint is as fresh as Verdant's! I'll have to keep it that way!"

Tsunagu grunted as he made his way around the aircraft.

"Nothing is out of the ordinary. The only caveat is she'll need fuel by the end of the day. You're at the set fuel and oil levels now, but this is a small plane. Plus I would advise stopping to pick up some last minute supplies you might need."

Hakku nodded.

"Not a problem. I know Dawsk Island has a good fuel spot and a market," he stated.

Tsunagu's eyes shimmered as he faced his child.

"There's something else I want to give you," he stated.

Marianne's expression went blank.

The man dropped his cane as he reached under his thick beard to the shirt collar. A small click was heard.

Hakku's blood roared in his ears as he saw the approaching topaz stone brooch.

"B-but Dad! Th-that's from the Military! Your career! Your life!" Hakku exclaimed.

Tsunagu nodded.

"Yes, that's true. Do you remember what it symbolizes?"

His son numbly shook his head.

"Hiraku, I was not awarded this brooch for bravery, ranks, or promotions. Rather, it was given as a token of embodying justice. I helped many people, regardless of their status or stances. That was why I was promoted. That was why I was awarded this brooch. That was why your mother offered to court me."

Hakku gulped.

"A-and you think I can uphold all of that?" he whispered.

His voice was nearly lost in the slight crossbreeze.

"No, Son, I don't think you can...I know you can."

"H-how, Dad?! There's no way!"

"Because of your optimism. It's a rare type."

His son furrowed his brows and blinked.

"What do you mean by 'a rare type'?" he wondered.

Tsunagu released a slow exhale.

"I believe that is something you should discover and witness firsthand," he rumbled.

Hakku stood upright and saluted. Water bubbles formed in the corners of his eyes.