Chapter 10: Turning Gears

"Y-you want me, Captain? As your Flight Engineer?" Sousaka whispered.

Hakku nodded.

"Absolutely! You're a perfect fit!"

The engineer bit her lip.

"I would love to...but my family needs me," she stated.

Mei rested a hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"Sousaka, you're not chained to us or this island."

"I know, Mom...but...something doesn't feel right about this! It's like you guys really need my help! And like, leaving you is just...wrong for some reason."

"I completely agree with your mother," a separate male voice called.

Everyone turned to the entrance.

There sat a middle-aged man in a wheelchair with evident rocket boosters at the back. He wore a t-shirt over his well-built torso. Dark pants and dark shoes covered his thin legs. His smooth, dark blue hair half-shaded his tired, dark blue eyes. Scars and burn marks littered his exposed, light skin.

On his lap sat a boy and a toddler girl. Both had frizzy, light blue hair and light blue eyes. Behind the wheelchair, a tween boy stood with his arms behind his back. His smooth, green hair matched his glassy, green eyes. He wore rectangular glasses and a ragged, buttoned shirt over greasy yet smooth shorts. His feet nervously tapped inside his knee-high socks and frayed sneakers.

"Uncle Tensei? Subaya? How long have you all been here?" Sousaka inquired.

"About as long as your mother. We figured this might be our last chance to say goodbye," the man in the wheelchair answered. Upon seeing Hakku, he smiled and waved.

"Hello, young man! I'm Tensei Iidaten. Tensei is fine. Captain Hakku, was it?" he inquired.

"Yes! That's me! It's a pleasure to meet you, Tensei, sir!" the young captain exclaimed.

Tensei nodded.

"Nice to meet you as well. As you probably gathered, Sousaka is my niece. My younger brother's daughter. These three kids are her younger siblings. Subaya Iidaten–" he gestured to the standing boy "–Homuno Iidaten–" he rested a hand on the boy's head "–and Baylee Iidaten–" he placed his other hand on the toddler's head.

Hakku grinned and waved back.

"Hello Iidaten family!"

Subaya's eyes shot to the ground. Homuno immediately turned into his uncle's chest. Baylee half-waved.

Sousaka grinned and walked over to Subaya. She wrapped an arm around his shoulders and pulled him close.

"Oh come on, Soobs! You're thirteen, you know how to say hi!"

The tween's lips trembled.

"H-hi," he whispered.

"Hello Subaya!" Hakku called.

"Sousaka," Mei interrupted, "Please don't let us hinder your goals."

The sixteen-year-old's face fell. Her entire mechanic suit slumped with her shoulders. Tributaries of water leaked out of her eyes.

"I-I think it's good for you, too, Sis," Subaya whispered.

Homuno's widened orbs looked around. Baylee started chewing on her shirt.

Sousaka's lower lip quivered.

A moment later she dashed out of the shed!

"Sousaka! What's wrong!" Hakku called.