Chapter 2: Plans for the Future

After the academy program ended Sasuke left for his home, while Naruto was forced to clean the hokage faces, mumbling traitor, each time he remembered that his friend abandoned him.

"You are not going home until you've finish cleaning everything, Naruto!" said Iruka, looking at his troublesome student.

Hearing his sensei words, Naruto's face darkens. Memories of his wife and children resurfaced. The times they spent together, the love he had for them and the happiness he felt each time he returned home and saw them waiting for him.

"It's not like anyone waits for me at home!" replied the blonde, continuing to rub the paint out of the fourth hokage's face, trying to hide his suffering.

Even though Iruka felt Naruto's overwhelming sadness, he didn't dwell upon it for long. He believed it was a normal feeling, one that he also felt after he lost his parents.

"Naruto, how about going for ramen after you've finish this!" asked Iruka, trying to lift Naruto's spirit.

"You mean it, sensei?!"

Naruto remembered this happening and he started thinking what he should do. After a few minutes of considerations, he decided to just enjoy his time with Iruka. During their meal, he talked about his dream of becoming the strongest hokage and to protect the people he loves. He even told Iruka about his family, but he disguised it as a wish for the future.

A few hours after his dinner with Iruka, Naruto ditched the Anbu and Root agents that were watching over him and run towards the KIA monument. He made sure that nobody was around, before tracing his mother's name with his finger. Tears forming in his eyes.

"I am sorry I never come to visit!" he said, trying to stop his tears from falling. "I never knew your name... I... I..." he couldn't finish his sentence. He started sobbing and guilt crept inside his heart. "I used to believe that you hated me and that's why you abandon me...that you didn't want me..." he continued speaking, after he calmed down a little. "I want you to know, that I am not a picky eater and I do take baths every day. I am keeping warm, but I am not sleeping too much. I have a lot of things that keep me awake at night. I've made good friends, I had people that I loved dearly, but..." he couldn't finish his phrase. Images of the war against the Ōtsutsuki clan filled his mind, making him shake.

"Dobe!" Sasuke's voice dragged him out of his mind, startling him.

"Teme, what are you doing here?"

"We were supposed to meet, remember? When you didn't show up, I went searching for you. There are very few places you would have been, in this time period. You father's head or Ichiraku Ramen and since you weren't in either. The KIA monument was the next best thing, but that doesn't really matter right now! Are you alright, Naruto?" Sasuke told him, grabbing his friend shoulder, squeezing it gentle.

"I'm..."

Sasuke didn't let him finish his words, because his left eye turned purple. His rinnegan showed for the first time since he arrived in the past. The six tomoes started spinning really fast, making Naruto feel the air around turning cold. A few seconds later, a head filled with red hair appeared in front of the monument, looking at the boys. Her piercing blue eyes were filled with wonder. She was supposed to be dead and yet she was in front of a boy that was the spitting image of her husband, Minato, and the other one that looked a lot like her friend, Mikoto.

Sasuke covered his rinnegan with his hand, after tears of blood feel down his cheeks. Naruto stared at his friend, not knowing exactly what to say.

"Dobe, you do not have much time left. Speak with your mother!"

"Na...Naruto?!" asked the red-haired woman, with a trembling voice, finding it hard to believe. "It's that really you?" she continued, trying to touch her son's face, but her fingers pass through him.