Ch 20 - Playthings

ATTENTION RADISH READERS! Please don't leave any spoilers in here or you'll be getting a spanking from Alfie. Or Elliot. Or Keira. Whoever you'd prefer. 😘

***

This wasn't happening.

There was no fucking way this was happening.

But it was. The Never Tell Clubhouse.

The car sped us along a winding driveway, through expansive grounds. My jaw dropped even further as two giant gem stone peacocks came into view, introducing us to the extravagant, gothic-style mansion ahead. I turned as we drove past them, watching their obsidian eyes glinting in the moonlight.

Before the mansion was a fountain— four statues of women kneeling with water coming out of their mouths and, in the middle, four men, lounging about and another standing in the middle of them. The face of the last was all too familiar. Just when I thought his ego couldn't get any bigger...

The house was an incredible yet eerie structure. Beautiful yet imperious, a place that invited you in yet didn't promise you would be the same when you came out.

The car slowed to a stop and my heart thudded in my chest. I felt a cool hand slip into mine, and I gripped it without thinking. Alfie said nothing, only held my gaze, steadying me until I calmed. I took a breath and stepped out of the car. I looked up at the building again and now I could hear the party inside. The music, the laughter... I could taste decadence in the air. Alfie was at my side again within moments, and I wondered how he felt.

"When was the last time you came here?"

"Twelve years ago." The night his brother died. I looked up at him, his expression indecipherable.

"What are we doing here, Alfie?"

"Burying the dead."

My stomach turned over as the gravity of this hit me full force, He had spent ten years running from this and now he was facing it head on. He must be terrified.

"Okay... but, why do you need me here?"

"I always need you. You're my little ghostbuster."

Alfie...

This man was killing me. I was tempted to reach out and take his hand but I didn't.

He smiled a small smile in the glinting moonlight. "Don't worry, we can have some fun tonight too. I know you've always wanted to come here."

"I always wanted to get past your walls. It wasn't about coming here specifically."

He thought about that for a moment and then nodded. "I understand." He was quiet for another moment, turning something else over in his mind. "Lo, you might see some things tonight you don't like... When you're ready to leave, just say the word." He looked down at me and I nodded, a flicker of anxiety trembling through me. I had always been so curious about this place but now that I was here, knowing what darkness it held, I was nervous.

Headlights lit us up as Keira and Maia arrived. Maia's expression was careful as she stepped out of the car. Keira, however, looked like a puppy on speed. She bounced over to me and gripped my hand.

"Are we where I think we are?" she squealed but didn't wait for my answer as she headed straight for the entrance.

"Keira," Alfie called after her, and she stopped, spinning on her heel. Alfie beckoned her back to us. "We have paperwork to sign first. This way." He gestured to the side of the house and she took off in front of us. Spinning, she walked backwards. "Aren't you so excited? This is going to be the shit! Moneybags, if this place is as good as I've heard, I think maybe I could forg—" Her words cut off as she collided with a tuxedoed man coming around the corner of the house. My friend landed in a crumpled heap on the gravel, giving me a serious case of deja-vu. I stooped to help her up. The man just stood there, looking down at her, an amused smile on his face.