~Chapter Twenty Three~

"How long do we have to wait in line for something I don't want to do? It's like Disneyland with more people and with a ride your brother forces you to do but you don't actually want to ride. Terrible," Ambria groaned to Jax, who seemed very annoyed with her mention of the time they went to Disneyland, and made them both wait in line for more than half of their trip for the Cars' ride.

"It was that one time and that one time only!" Jax mumbled to Ambria, "The rest of the trip I had to deal with your Teacup and My Little Pony rides because Mom wanted to take so many pictures! She was so upset she couldn't ride on them because she was pregnant."

Suddenly, Jax's face fell slightly. His presence seemed to shrink.

"How is Little Lilly?" Even though he was trying to joke with Lillyana's nickname, his voice dipped into a crack.

"Last time I was there she was still herself. Her still loud, screaming, noisy self." Ambria paused. "She doesn't remember you anymore."

Jax looked away and ran his hand down his face. Still his face away from Ambria, he nodded slightly.

He cleared his throat. "I get that. I mean she was two when it happened. You should be glad Lillyana remembers you."

"Oh, Jax. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

"It's fine. I knew it already... at least in the back of my mind the thought of that was always there."

That seemed to end the conversation, Ambria turned to Brielle who sat behind her silent. Ambria couldn't tell if she was staring at Carson or into the distance.

Yesterday, Brielle had been super upset because Carson seemed to be into Harper. It had always been a consideration that Brielle had debated if Carson and Harper liked each other but it kinda proved it.

Ambria reached for Brielle's hand and gave it a quick squeeze. Brielle came back to the presence and gave Ambria a sad smile.

"You okay?" Ambria checked.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Though I guess I'm not having a great life right now. I mean we are stuck in this place, being forced to work for twelve hours a day, only eating bread and oatmeal twice a day, seeing my friends fall apart, watching people die, and plus my crush is into a different girl."

Ambria gave a small laugh, loving seeing Brielle back to her sorta usual self.

The line stepped up a couple steps, which felt like a mile for how long they had been standing in the same spot.

"How long do you think we will have to wait in line? We've already waited for almost exactly eight hours," Brielle asked, changing the subject.

"Judging how many people are in front of us probably, about six more hours."

.- -- -... .-. .. .-

The guess was close. It was pretty much six hours before Carson, who was in front of the line for Ambria and her friends, walked into the scary room. He gave them a shy smile and two thumbs up before walking to the room.

Ambria couldn't see much when the door was open but she could tell it had several guards and nurses inside.

It was about twenty minutes later when Carson walked out with a very concerned look on his face. He shook his head and was guided out by a soldier. He was put into an area and had to work.

Next, stepped in Harper. She gave a reassuring smile to them as they shut the door.

All the windows were covered, but Ambria really wanted to know what was happening and what she should expect.

Again, about twenty minutes later Harper was sent to work.

Jax went in, and Ambria was next in line. A soldier stood about two feet taller than her as she stood there, impatiently. She stepped her fingers on her thigh to the jeopardy theme song. It was another reminder on how her family used to spend their nights. Jeopardy fridays.

Jax's chek went faster, or maybe it was just Ambria. The guard next to her was replaced by another guard, as the guard that was there guided her up the stairs into the tiny doctor's office.

It was obviously not built to be a doctor's office but it was set up nicely.

A young girl smiled, kindly. The girl was probably only a couple years older than Ambria. Her blonde strands of hair were tucked behind her ears. She was wearing a lab coat, and usually was scary but with her glasses and smile, Ambria realized she was just doing her job.

"Hi." She said simply. She brushed her hands off on her white lab coat, adn stuck out her hand. "I'm Berkeley. You must be Ambria Turner?"

"Umm, yeah."

Sensing Ambria was confused, "We have records on everyone in the building and put them in order of the line. So I kinda guessed. Sorry."

"It's fine."

Berkeley's cheerful voice was kinda scary.

"Okay. So we are just going to give you your updated shots, and make sure you don't have any diseases you are carrying and then you should be done."

Ambria nodded and followed their instructions. Even though she seemed to be the youngest one there, Berkeley seemed to be the one in charge in the room full of doctors and nurses. With every command, they listened.

While Ambria was getting the flu shot Berkeley brought up a conversation.

"Your dad is Alex, right?" Berkeley asked.

"Umm, yeah."

"Sorry, I'm so bad at conversations." Berkeley, face palmed. "I just have to read your file before you come in here and that's all I know about you."

"It's fine. Though I don't suggest saying random things about the other person. Talk about yourself, because you know yourself more than you know the other person." Ambria shared. She rolled her sleeve back into place, and stood up.

"Okay. I can do that. Thanks."

"No problem." Ambria smiled as a guard led them out of the small room. She went over to Harper, Jax, and Carson.

"That wasn't too bad, right?"

Everyone agreed, besides Carson who stayed silent. He still had a disgusted look on his face.

"What? Why is everyone staring at me?" Carson asked, defending himself just when the rest of the group joined them. He lifted his hands in the air.

They all stifled a laugh, smiling when Carson still was trying to keep his secret of hating needles.

Carson opened his mouth to say something, but closed it unable to think of anything to reply to. 

Word Count: 1105