Prologue

The doorbell rang exactly at 8:30 PM on the dot. The sound was followed by the excited barking of her large and intimidating-looking wolfdog Killua named after one of her favorite anime characters from Hunter X Hunter.  The large beast damn near big enough to ride was standing up on his back legs barking at the door as his claws attempted to tear the white wooden frame down to get to the person behind the obstacle. She placed the hot pocket she had just finished taking from the microwave down quickly on the counter as if it burned her and rounded the corner of her small kitchen; her clumsy self hitting her hip on the counter edge on her way making her clutch her side with a very unladylike curse as she stumbled her way towards her apartment door. Grabbing the thick black leather of her mutt's collar she pulled with all her strength until Killua dropped down to all four paws allowing her to sidle her way to the door to unlock the deadbolt and chain. Throwing the door open she was greeted by the sight of a bundled mass of a human figure carrying multiple bags in each hand. 

"Bloody hell Ollie Killua's going to give me a heart attack one of these days! I swear he's damn near to breaking down your front door." a female's breathy voice spoke up in a puff from under the wrap of her scarf. 

Olivia's good-natured laugh ended in a snort as she reached out to grab the bags from her best friend's gloved hands replying with a jovial "Oh he's just excited to see you is all!" 

The twinkle in her blue eyes told her that probably wasn't the full truth. Killua was a wolfdog mutt after all and his loyalty dynamic with Olivia meant certain death by mutilation by his jaws if it came to it. Of course, it wasn't like McKenzie was a stranger to the apartment so the wolfdog was indeed just excited to see a familiar visitor; one that neither he nor his owner had seen for a good two weeks. As McKenzie toddled her way inside and began unraveling herself, she plopped her thick winter's clothing on the entry bench by the door as the large beast sniffed eagerly at her pants and pockets as if searching for something. Mckenzie laughed as she finished unwrapping her scarf and set it aside before digging into her pocket to pull out a ziplock baggy that contained some beef jerky inside that she'd saved especially for the large dark gray mass sniffing at her. 

"Is this what you were searching for handsome boy?" she cooed as she knelt and picked out a piece. She was not scared as the dog licked at her fingers that held the treat right before his rather large teeth opened wide enough to snatch the beef stick from her hands and scuttle off to his bed in the corner of the living room to eat it. 

Olivia smiled watching before wrapping her arms around her red-headed best friend. "I've missed you so much! How was the trip to visit your family in Lousiana?" she asked into her friend's shoulder as they stood in the front hallway hugging and swaying to unheard music. 

"It was good up until Aunt Grace decided she wanted to get me to know the man next door that just moved in." McKenzie laughed rolling her eyes before letting go of her friend and looking around the apartment.

"Where's Kason?" she asked frowning realizing that it was far too quiet than it normally was. 

Olivia snorted and went to the kitchen around the corner to grab them a glass of wine as she explained. "Well, Kason is out on his 3rd date this week. I swear that man is just in it for the D," she said with a fond shake of her head. 

The laughter that came from McKenzie was contagious and the two of them began laughing at just the image of Kason out on the prowl to get himself some dick. Olivia sighed as she poured herself a glass of wine after sliding over one for McKenzie and brushed a strand of silky black hair from her face. Staring down into the dark liquid of the red wine she said softly with a bit of rueful toner in her voice. "At least someone is getting a dick around here. I swear my luck with men suck!"