Chapter 17

There was nothing but the scritch scratch of the pen on paper in the study as Olivia bent over her journal, every once in a while she'd tuck the tip of the pen between her teeth as her blue eyes scanned along the path that she was making on the pages. It was early; far too early for anyone else to be up and her work was only illuminated by the glow of the candles scattered around the room and table she sat at. Her hair was flowing like inky silk down her back and out of confinements but she had downed her usual training wear instead of staying in her night dress. She'd woken up from one hell of a dream that she could barely even remember. It was snipped of her home and life with Mckenzie and Kason and then it would blur and spin until she was back in the Witcher world. It didn't make sense but there were flashes of landscapes and areas that she'd remembered that she thought might be a sign of sorts. She never was one to have premonitions but she wouldn't put it past this world to throw a curve ball at her. Gilgamesh had them too and dwarves didn't possess magical abilities like that and he'd had them since he was just a youngling. The very thought of Gilgamesh made her reach up to grasp the necklace of the gemstone that hung heavy around her neck. She never took it off since he gave it to her. Rubbing her eyes and setting her pen down Olivia sighed looking at the wall thoughtfully trying to remember what other details she could. The door opened behind her and she assumed it was Vesemir; that old man was always checking up on her. 

"I'm okay, no I am not hungry or thirsty. Go back to bed," she said without looking over her shoulder as she returned her attention to her journal.

"Well, that's good. Unfortunately, sleep doesn't come very easy to me." the voice made her pause mid-sentence in her book and she slowly looked up to stare at the wall not wanting to look behind her to see who she knew would be there. 

His presence was palpable as he closed the door and neared where she sat. The heat from his body grew hotter the closer he drew to her until she could feel the brush of his shirt against her hair. 

"You're avoiding me, Olivia." his voice was spoken at a lower volume but his tone was silky in the way it caressed her ears and she could feel his breath tickling the hairs on her scalp from how close he stood behind her. 

"God my dreams are getting to me," she muttered under her breath. It had to be a dream right? No way would Geralt be standing behind her this close speaking to her as if they were long-lost lovers; she could almost taste the hormones in the air around them. This was far too vivid than her usual dreams were involving Geralt. 

Strong hands grasped her shoulders and spun her around in her seat so that furious yellow eyes bore into her shocked pale blue eyes. His jaw was clenched and he looked mad. But this anger wasn't meaningless like all the others to blow off steam. This anger was rooted deep inside that shone from his eyes as he spoke through gritted teeth. 

"Not a word from you, not a fucking message, nothing Olivia. You could have at least let me know somehow that you were here and safe," he growled

Her nostrils flared and her balled-up fist hit him square in the chest regardless of the fact that it didn't do shit to him. "Where the hell were you!? I certainly didn't fucking know Geralt! How was I supposed to send a message or get word to you that I left my little hiding hole to come up here?! You and Ciri fell off the face of the earth; ever since the last time you visited I had no way of contacting you, you don't exactly have a home address." she hissed back glaring up at him. 

He stared down at her a moment before letting her go and stepping back. "You could have asked Vesemir. He has the means to find me if you couldn't."

"And then what Geralt? I told you when I went to live in that fucking cottage that I was done chasing you! Your path and mine are like a fork in the road. You were needed elsewhere that I couldn't follow and you know it! So what was I supposed to do huh? Tell me that Geralt! Tell me!" she yelled back and pointed a finger at his chest.