Chapter 126: brought to you by poor mental health

Neara gets the worst dinner invitation and, unfortunately, accepts. Because all of us make bad social and mental health decisions on a daily basis. ______________________________

Calvin grew more persistent with his gifts, especially with the rainy season underway. Fruits and vegetables were brought to Tiger Castle every day, each time by a new Leopard beastman who had orders to deliver them to Agatha and Agatha alone.

"You have to admit, the bastard has good taste." Orson slurped another bowl of vegetable soup while the predators looked on in disgust. Even Tony couldn't stomach straight vegetables, although he made a great effort to pretend whenever Neara cooked something.

"I'm supposed to be ugly!" She buried her face in her hands. With the constant rain, she couldn't risk going outside and exposing herself, so she'd been working with Winston and Tony on perfecting the kiln and drying times.

Orson clicked his tongue. "Aw, too bad." He licked his bowl, then inspected it once again. "Well, I'm going to get more. I'd offer to get you some but... we all know you'd refuse."

"Then why ask?" Benedict snapped.

"I didn't. That's the point."

"Why even bring it up?"

"To piss you off."

Benedict growled and sank into a defensive position. "Keep talking, stone-head."

"Guys, can we not fight for one day?" Neara couldn't have felt more lonely if she tried.

"There's another Leopard beastman downstairs, Agatha." Winston stood at the door, looking uncomfortable. "He says he has a message for you."

"But we already had a delivery? Right? That was today?" Everything ran together when you were trapped with four... three... two pissy beastmen.

Winston nodded and waited.

"Ok, I'll put on the spots. Do you think anyone's noticed they're not in the same place every day?" She dabbed them on haphazardly and followed Winston downstairs.

"I'm glad nobody studies your face." He blushed and looked down. "It's better for your disguise."

"Winston..."

He stopped, his shoulders tense. "Yes?"

"Do you think... I'm crazy?"

He didn't say a word.

"For being so sad all the time. I know it's been a long time and death is treated lightly in this place, but Shay was my friend and..." Tears threatened to fall and ruin her makeup. Ugh, what a horrible thing to think. Ruin her disguise. Ugh! Why was she so worried about caring about makeup? It was fine for some girls, it just wasn't her thing and if he couldn't respect...

"The death of a woman is a tragedy, no matter how she looks. Because she meant so much to you, I think the sadness will always be there in some way. You're not weak for missing an important person in your life." His eyes burned into hers. "You are not crazy. You are not weak. You are not alone in this." A movement from his side caught her attention, but it was just his hand twitching. "What I mean is... you have Orson to protect you, and Benedict to watch over you, and Tony to help you."

Why didn't he mention himself? Was he really considering Qin? She looked up and blinked rapidly; the last thing she wanted to do was go back upstairs to reapply her spots and have Orson all over her. He'd been trying to make her talk about Shay any time they were alone and she couldn't handle... anything anymore.

"Benedict will leave soon, after I trade with the Merpeople for salt, but while he's here, you'll have another set of eyes. Ape King can't hurt you. I won't let him." His face looked even harder than usual.