Chapter 43: brought to you by bromance, the best kind of 'mance

Next time on "The Abs Licker": Men are more than pretty statues....for real. And a happy husband is a happy house.

_______________________________________

Ryan would not allow Shay to leave the house until she could bend over and back without wincing, wary of the cold and rain. When she passed that test, he bundled her up and brought a large leaf, one of many used to shale the roof, as an umbrella for her to hold above herself.

"Stay and guard the house," he told Parker, who was already getting up to follow.

A few days of good food and sleep had done wonders for the leopard. While still looking a bit on the thin side, he was in his ripe and proper shape.

What's to guard besides the snake? Said his face, but having fully accepted his role in the family hierarchy, he didn't question Ryan and slunk back to the corner where he and Ryan had been finishing the final touches on the fireplace, mainly how to install and use a damper, since the first time they had attempted to start a fire resulted in more smoke than even the firepit gave off. Parker's natural talent with his hands had proved invaluable to the project.

Satisfied, Ryan swept Shay off her feet and set off at a crisp jog.

"I have legs," she said, yearning to enjoy walking without the weight of pregnancy. "And Curtis made me shoes."

"Not waterproof shoes," he said. "Hush and humor me. Is there something you want in return for doing so?"

"Even if there was, you get me whatever I want anyways."

"Why do you pout as you say that?"

"Because I want to spoil you too! I'm so useless."

"Not so." He ducked under the leaf to nuzzle her, ruining the purpose of the umbrella. His next words were a husky rumble. "You show me pleasure nigh to heaven."

She pushed his wet face away. "Horny panther."

On arriving at Neara's house, however, there was a momentary disturbance before tiny and buff Theo answered the door.

"Oh, it's you."

"And who were you hoping it was? Your lady love just left to go to the bathroom." snapped a familiar grouchy voice. "Let them in already, you're letting in the cold."

Ryan stepped inside and Shay, scanning the room for Neara, found a bandaged and ragged Orson next to the fire instead.

"Orson! You look like crap. What chewed on you?" she squirmed out of Ryan's grasp as he flung out the leaf and closed the door.

"Funny you should ask," he said blithely. "Some wolves did the chewing."

"Did you sass them?"

Orson sniffed, insulted. "They ambushed me, if you must know. Like predators need a reason to be violent maniacs."

"Shay?"

A figure clad in white whom she hadn't noticed before stood from the corner. A ring of wood bowls sat at his feet, each filled with various plants.

On recognizing him, along with the gentle intelligence in his gaze so unique to this wild world, Shay smiled widely.

"Harvey. It's been a while. What are you doing here?"

He seemed to shiver, but covered it up by stepping forward.

"Your friend Neara needed a doctor to tend to her mate." His eyes jumped up and down her figure, and his smile soon turned to a frown. "You've lost weight." His eyes narrowed on her face. "A lot. And you hardly have any color to your face." His eyes flickered to Ryan standing behind her and his naturally gentle expression hardened.