Chapter 7: brought to you by that one crazy all-natural peep you know

Oh no, help me, I got bucked off a rabid leopard, somebody nurse me back to health with their tasty body heat and garlic rubs, boo hoo.

________________________________________

Neara slowly stirred to consciousness with hands methodically rubbing her head and shoulders. The thrill of fear sang along her nerves, yet she could not summon the strength to care who was manhandling her. There seemed to be no action, or pain, in her groin area, so she supposed they hadn't gone that far yet. She peeked through slitted eyes at her surroundings. Long yellow strings of something hung near a small, but determined fire. Perhaps garlic? The smell of spices filled her nostrils and almost caused a cough. The bed was soft, almost soothing the sudden and intense pain in her head. She moaned a little and the hands stopped and withdrew. A cool, wet, bundle was pressed against the top of her neck and she arched into the sensation.

"I'm glad your eyes are open." An amused voice said.

Neara's eyes bolted open in spite of herself and she tried not to gape at the blond man smiling down at her. "Harvey?"

"It also pleases me that you remember my name." He disappeared from her sight before reappearing with a small wooden cup. "Drink this, please. I have made a tea that should help with dehydration." His hands moved to her lower back and he helped her sit up. His fingers were cool and soft, although she could have done without the sensation of them gliding over her skin. She focused on the grain of the cup as she brought it to her lips and drank deeply. The bitter taste filled her mouth and she gagged.

"Sorry." She coughed and drank again.

"No, I'm sorry it isn't to your liking."

"That's not it, it's just... really bitter." She held the cup out to a white shape she assumed was Harvey.

"I am not offended. Plush weed is not a pleasant flavor, but it will help your mind recover. I also have some golden root tea for after dinner." The white shape moved away.

She squinted at her surroundings. "Are we at your house?"

"Yes. The feral took Shay and left you, Parker, and Calvin badly damaged. You will be staying with me until you can recover." He reappeared with a brown shape that smelled like meat. "Calvin told me you like your meat with medicine. I hope I have chosen the correct ones."

"I'm.. sure it's fine." She held out her hands and he placed the plate on them. It rested in her lap. "Harvey, I know this is silly, but my glasses..."

"I couldn't find them in the grass. We'll send a search party tomorrow." He seated himself before her and his cool fingers wrapped around her face. "Can you see me now?" He got closer until she could see the soft blue of his eyes. They crinkled at the corners when he noticed her looking.

"Harvey..."

"I just want you to be able to see me when I speak. If you are truly uncomfortable, I will sit by the fire."

The warmth over her cheeks did not suppress her sudden shivering.

"I apologize for the chill." He leaned towards her. "I was busy gathering medicines today and did not get sufficient firewood."

"Where's Calvin?" she muttered and looked away, nervous about his face being so near to hers.

"He's with Parker in the village. My home is too small for three males. I will visit them in the morning. Beastmen males are sturdy." He smiled. "Don't worry about them. I'm more concerned with your head."

The meat steamed next to her fingers and she discreetly tore a piece off. It felt greasy and slick; she dug her nails into the flesh to hold it in place. She swallowed and leaned backwards, away from his face. "I don't want to seem ungrateful... but isn't it against the rule for males to be separated from their females?" If only she could see...

"You are unmarked. There will be no disturbance if you stay in a safe place for the night." His voice heavy against her ear.

When had he gotten next to her? Her hands rubbed her arms. "I'll just finish dinner and go to bed then."

"Good idea." The white shapeshifted off the mattress and went next to the fire. The sounds of flesh tearing and teeth chewing it filled the room. Too nervous to talk, she ate quickly and wiped her hands on her top. "Well, good night, Harvey, and thank you for letting me stay." The back of her head throbbed and she winced.

"Here is another compress." The icy coolness soothed the pain somewhat. "I'll hold it here until you fall asleep. His fingers rested on either side of her spine. "You are safe here."

"Everyone keeps saying that..." she whispered as she drifted to sleep. "I'm starting to think I'm not."