chapter 23 - august 2019

When Meg woke up one morning to the soft rumble of distant thunder and dim flashes of white light invading her bedroom through the window, she only hesitated a moment to stretch and yawn before throwing her legs over the side of the bed and standing. She grabbed her robe and wrapped it around herself as she tiptoed to the window, peeking out at the grey scene outside as raindrops began to fall.

There were few things she loved more than a thunderstorm, especially when she had nowhere to go and could simply sit there and watch it. It was part of the reason she had been so excited when Gary bought the house and she'd seen the covered porch in the back. She'd even managed to get him and Dicky to build a porch swing, promising that the girls who visited them would love it. Years later, she wasn't sure how often they ended up bringing girls there, but Meg got as much use out of it as possible. She loved sitting there with a cup of tea or glass of wine as she cuddled in a blanket and read books or watched the weather.

As quietly as possible, she made her way down the stairs, making sure to avoid the creaky steps. It was early on a Saturday, and she didn't want to wake any of the boys on their day off. When she reached the kitchen, she put the kettle on and found her favourite spiced chai tea. She stared out the window at the inky darkness, lit up occasionally by bright flashes, until the water boiled. Once her tea was ready, she picked up the steaming mug and headed for the porch.

When she pushed open the door and stepped outside, she was surprised to see someone already sitting in her usual spot on the swing. She let out a small gasp, and had to keep her hand steady to prevent the hot liquid from sloshing over the side of the mug.

"Oh, sorry—" she stammered. Oh shit, more like. "I didn't expect—um—" She snapped her mouth shut in embarrassment as he turned to look at her.

"Mornin'," Bobby said with a soft, sleepy smile. He was shirtless, wearing only his pyjama bottoms – cake patterned, it looked like. Meg felt her mouth go dry at the sight. "Didn't realize anyone else was up."

"Me either," she forced out. "Um, obviously. I can leave...?"

Please tell me to leave, please—

"Nah, stay," he replied, pointing at the space on the bench next to him. "We can keep each other company."

Fuck.

"Do you want some tea? The water's boiled." Maybe while she was making it, she'd be able to come up with an excuse to leave.

"I'm alright, thanks."

She forced the corners of her lips to turn up as she closed the door behind her. An early morning chat with Bobby was the last thing she was prepared for – with morning breath, messy hair, and a robe pulled over her comfy old pyjamas. Or maybe they wouldn't chat at all, just sit there in what was sure to be an awkward silence? She wasn't sure which would be worse.

Meg moved to the swing as Bobby shifted over to give her more space, and she gingerly sat down. She cradled her mug in her hands and blew across the surface, watching the steam curl away. There was a flash of lightning, and the rain that had just been starting when she was still in her room began to fall at a steadier pace.

Bobby was silent as he looked out across the lawn, and Meg was grateful that she could take a moment to catch her bearings, focusing her attention on the tea in her hands instead of the man beside her.

"Couldn't sleep?" Bobby asked, turning to look at her as she brought the mug to her lips.

She took a long sip, needing the extra moment before answering.

"Sort of, I guess? I woke up and heard the thunder, so I decided to come down. Figured you guys would all be sleeping."

He nodded, looking thoughtful. "Bakers' hours. I'm up early most days, so when I have a day off, I tend not to sleep in, or it'll mess up my routine."