Co-worker

Athena P.O.V

I am currently walking home from the diner. Today was my first day. Other than one of Bailey's minions coming in, I'd say today was pretty successful.

I finally reach my house and slowly unlock the door trying to be as quiet as possible. But it didn't matter, as soon as I entered the house I saw my mom with a furious look on her face.

"Where the hell were you" she yells.

I flinch and start to panic.

"I-i-i told you I w-was getting a j-job", I answer in a whisper.

"No you told me it was just an interview, SO WHY IN GODS NAME HAVE YOU BEEN GONE FOR 8 HOURS" she screams.

"I-i-i know I should've called but I forgot" I reply timidly.

Without warning she comes up to me, winds her hand back, and slaps me. The sound echoes through the house.

I start tearing up but try my best not to cry.

"Don't think that just because I let you have a little bit of freedom by getting a job you can do whatever you want" she whispers in my face.

The stench of alcohol is apparent in her breath.

She walks over to the kitchen and chugs a whole beer. She throws the empty bottle at the trash can a misses and it shatters everywhere. 

My mom lets out a huge burp before yelling "Clean this up".

I quickly start picking up the broken pieces of glass occasionally cutting myself by accident. I accidentally stepped on one of the shards. I hiss in pain sitting down on the couch and trying to pull it out of my foot. I think I got it out but it still hurts. I limp around carefully while cleaning to make sure I don't step on anymore. After I hurry up to my room and plop onto my bed. I've been holding back my tears until now. And I let out a quiet sob.

Why can't my mom love me? Is something wrong with me? I wish I could just disappear.

I let my thoughts run wild and they drift towards today at work. I know work isn't supposed to be fun but it was. It helped me forget for a little while that this was my life when I went home. 

I finally stop crying and manage to drag myself out of bed to go shower. I look in the mirror and my cheek is slightly swelled up from the slap my mom gave me. I checked my foot where the glass shard was and it's still bleeding. I don't think I got all the shards out but even with tweezers I still can't reach it myself.  

I cleaned up the wound and the cuts on my hand. I place a tiny SpongeBob band-aid on the cut on my foot. 

I take one final look at my haggard and exhausted face. My eyes are still red from the crying and my eye bags look big enough to carry milk. 

_______________________________
Next morning at 6 am
Athena P.O.V

I wake up and get ready since today is my first complete day of work.

After getting ready I run downstairs to see my mom in the kitchen drinking coffee. She's sober right now so I felt confident enough to talk to her.

"I'm going to the diner now Mom and I'll be back tonight", I cautiously say to her.

She looks up at me and just nods her head. I quickly walk out of the house and head to the diner. I can feel my foot still throbbing but I have to walk through the pain. 

I arrive and instead of seeing will I see someone else.

"U-um hi, who are you?" I ask the stranger.

He looks nice. He's tall, I'd say about 6'0, and tan with black hair. He has a nice jawline.