Careful

Athena POV
*School*
I'm sitting in English class as I listen to my teacher ramble on about the crucible.

"This project will be 10 percent of your grade so please take it seriously, you are free to pick your partners", the teacher says.

As soon as she stops speaking the whole class starts moving around to group up with their friends. While I'm still glued to my seat looking around trying to figure out who to partner up with. I lock eyes with Noelle and it's almost like she read my mind and she got up and walked towards me.

"So... partners"? I asked giving her a questioning look.

"Yes", she replies nonchalantly.

"Alright, I'll split up the work evenly, is there a particular part you wanna work on, or is anything ok", I ask cautiously.

"Whatever", she replies.

What's up with these one-worded replies?

"Um ok, so are you free today after school at the library", I ask.

"Yes"

"Alright see you then", I say grinning widely at her.

She stares at me with a look I can't quite read before walking away back to her desk.
________________________________
After School

I'm sat at a table in the corner of a library reading a book as I wait for Noelle. I'm hyper-focused on my book when I hear a knock on the table calling my attention.

I look up from my book and see that it's Noelle. I smile shyly as she sits down across from me. After a little bit of small talk, or if you could even call it that. We then start working on the project. We got a lot done before I had to leave to go to work.

From my impressions of Noelle, she seems closed off from people. I'm trying to be nice and be her friend since she's new and all but she doesn't seem interested in being friends. My mind drifts away from thoughts about Noelle as I walk into the diner and see Will.

"How are you feeling today", he asks with a small smile.

"Better, the pain has gone down a lot and so has the swelling", I reply returning his smile.

"That's good.....", he pauses before continuing, "How's school, is that girl still bothering you"?

"No, for some reason she wasn't at school today".

He nods and goes back to what he was doing before. I start doing my work and a few hours pass and it's near closing time. The door opens and in walks a customer.

"Welc-", I stop short as I realize who the customer was. It was Noelle.

She nodded a quick hello and me before heading to the register where Will was. I watch closely as she whispers something in his ear. Will's face contorted and he looked back at me I quickly snapped my head and looked away pretending that I wasn't trying to eavesdrop.

I can feel him walk up behind me and tap my shoulder and I turn around.

"Athena I'll be right back I need to go talk to someone can you watch the diner for a few minutes", he asks.

He locked eyes with me giving me an intense look that made my throat go dry.

"Sure", I reply trying to seem as casual as possible.

Wait how does Will know Noelle

He and Noelle rush outside to the back. After a few minutes, weird thoughts start to form in my head.

What could they possibly be talking about? Maybe that's his girlfriend. Why would he treat me the way he treats me if he already had a girlfriend? Is that why Noelle doesn't like me?