Chapter 7

The air grew colder as Tal moved on, the promise of winter in the chilly air. The meadow of Kelau dian was like summer, though the climate was likely due to it being in such close proximity to Talonia. But if it were not for the poisonous flowers in that meadow, he would have gladly stopped there for a while. But then there was the issue of hidden dangers in the tall grass.

He estimated it would take a few days to reach the capital, knowing he'd have to pass through those woods he hadn't been in since he was seven. It chilled his blood to think about that day, his shoulder aching with the memory, as if that knife were still being pushed through his skin. He gritted his teeth, forcing his breath to even out, his hands to stop shaking.

His ride carried on for hours, legs and hips aching when he finally stopped at a village, the sign reading Annawin. Tal rode up to a local stablehouse, dismounting from the mare, his body stiff as he moved. He stroked her neck and tossed a gold coin to the stableboy, a silent order to take care of the horse. Without waiting for a response, Tal stalked towards a nearby inn.

The buildings he passed were in much better condition than those in Talonia. Tall, sturdy structures rose two or three stories high, simple balconies and gardens framing the windows in some of the houses. Most of the wooden doors were decorated with floral wreaths, and Tal had to guess what it was for—a celebration? A ward against evil spirits? A tradition for the village? He surveyed the rest of the village as he climbed the steps to the inn.

The cobblestone streets were swept clean, even of fallen leaves. A well made of marble and oak marked the center of the quiet village, only the occasional croak of a frog and the chirping of crickets breaking the stillness of the night. Families were likely tucked away in the safety and warmth of their homes, smoke curling from the chimneys of a few farther down the road.

Tal pushed the wooden door open, letting himself inside, warmth washing over him. The glow of a fire in the fireplace lit and warmed the room he stepped into, comfortable chairs and sofas decorating the space before it, offering guests a place to rest. He approached the desk to his right, a plump older woman seated behind it, a rosy color to her cheeks, white hair tucked into a bun, a few stray hairs escaping it.

She smiled warmly at Tal, like a grandmother might do. "Hello, what can I do for you?" Her voice was merry, soothing even.

Tal nodded once in greeting. "I need a room for the night." He reached into his pouch for the gold coins he carried. He usually tried not to spend too much of it, especially since he didn't know just how long he'd be on this mission. But he couldn't help it if the weather was growing too cold for him to camp outside like he would have done had the climate been more suitable for it.

She gladly handed over a key at the same time he set two gold pieces on the counter. She slid them into her palm as he scooped up the key, bidding her a goodnight before sauntering up the stairs into the darkened hallways lit only by a few candles to his room, marked by the matching numbers attached to the key he held.

247, he thought as he slid the key into the lock, turned it, and slipped inside.

The bedroom itself was small, not that he needed much room. Anyways. The bed was pressed against the wall under a single window, and Tal marked it as an escape route—just in case. He set his pack down on the small wooden table by the door, one chair tucked under it. A washbowl rested on a nightstand by the bed, a small, dingy mirror hanging on the wall above it.

He searched the dark room for matches, finding them hidden behind the washbowl and lit a tiny candle on the table beside his pack. The little bit of light settled nerves just enough as he did another sweep of the room. Aside from some evidence of potential rodents in the walls, there was no indication of a threat. He checked the window, relieved to find that it opened with ease, but slightly disturbed that it could also open from the outside as well.