Chapter 14

Tal didn't sleep that night. He tossed and turned, stomach churning.

    It was another mission. Just another job. Devan was just another person in the world that Tal didn't care about.

    Kalvir was up at dawn. And because there was no use in trying to stay and sleep, Tal got up, slipping his shoes on. Kalvir rubbed the sleep from his eyes, blonde hair horribly tangled. He looked at Tal.

    "You look awful," the boy said.

    Tal snorted, rolling up his bedroll and tucking it aside. "Really? Because I'm sure you look worse."

    Kalvir furrowed his brows. "Did you sleep at all last night?"

    "Nope. But I'm fine. Really. I'm used to very little sleep." When Kalvir opened his mouth to respond, Tal quickly grabbed his cloak and ducked out of the tent. He did not want to be reprimanded about his poor habits, especially when he was well aware of his own limits.

    Devan and Chesed were at the campfire, Trynewn tending to the horses. The prince and his friend were talking in quiet voices. And as Tal approached, they both went quiet, looking up at the assassin.

    "Is something wrong?" Tal asked, gaze darting over to Devan, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Nothing seemed off with the prince, however. Tal had no idea how long it took for the poison he was given to truly take effect. According to the message from his client, the prince should be dead within three days.

Devan sighed. "Chesed informed me that there was some unusual activity last night."

Tal frowned. "Like what?"

"Singing," Chesed said. "Well... more like chanting. And I'm very sure that someone—or something—was prowling around the edge of our lovely little campsite here."

"Sytyrians?" Tal frowned.

    Devan shook his head. "They would have attacked immediately. And Chesed would more than likely be dead. Sytyrian saliva is known to paralyze those who come in contact with it. Had it been those creatures, Chesed would have been paralyzed and killed. And we wouldn't have survived the night."

    Tal raised an eyebrow. "Even with all your wonderful powers?"

    Chesed turned to the prince, anger written all over his face. "He knows? Devan—"

    "It wasn't intentional, Chesed," Devan replied calmly, cutting him off. "He knows. But only because he figured it out."

    Chesed turned his attention on Tal now. "You? A lowly nobody was gifted with the ability  to sense such power?"

Devan stepped closer to Tal, almost positioning himself between the assassin and the silver-eyed young man. "Chesed. Stop. Tal had no idea that he even possessed such a power. But now that he knows, I intend to help him use it."

    Chesed let out an animalistic growl. "This won't end well, Devan. You know it." Chesed stormed away, joining Trynewn with the horses.

    Devan cleared his throat, coughing a little. "Don't worry about what Chesed said. He's always feared not having enough power." He turned to face Tal. "I think it comes from his parents never being around and practically being raised by my own family."

    Tal narrowed his eyes at Chesed's retreating figure. "Finally; I learned something that makes that snake squirm."

    "Be careful how you speak, Tal. Chesed is a member of the royal household and second only to my father and I," Devan said, fixing Tal with a stern gaze.