Chapter 10

"We won't reach Vallartos until tomorrow morning," Devan explained, seated across from Tal on the ornate rug in the prince's quarters aboard the vessel.

The room was not quite as grand as some of the rooms at the castle, but was still beautiful. The bed was pushed against the wall, unmade as the fine blankets spilled over the side onto the floor. A trunk with clothes sat against the foot of the bed, Devan's sword and cloak draped over it. On the desk behind Tal, papers, scrolls, and books occupied the wooden surface. Research, Devan had said when Tal asked what it was all for. And the prince hadn't offered any further explanation. And Tal didn't ask.

The two young men sat across from each other on the rug. "So we can start your training now," Devan continued. "So what exactly is it that you sense?"

Tal sighed. "Just... There's something off about you and your family," he said. "I'm not sure how to describe it, exactly. Just... power. It's unnatural."

Devan nodded slowly. "Well... You're not wrong." He adjusted his position. "Tredia's first king was not from this world. He came from another one that no longer exists. When he came here, he knew nothing of the evil that lives in the world. He united the country and was crowned king. And since then, my bloodline has ruled. But because he was from another world, he had... gifts. Powers, as you call them. And those powers have been passed down through the bloodline for generations."

Tal leaned back, hands braced behind him to hold him up. "Okay... So you have those gifts, too. What exactly do they consist of?"

Devan shrugged. "Healing, strength, sometimes foresight, the rest is coming to me as I discover them."

The assassin frowned, tilting his head to one side. "You don't know all of your powers?"

The prince sighed, shaking his head slowly. "No. They started manifesting themselves when I was twelve or so. I'm only seventeen and haven't had much time to properly figure them out." He closed his fingers into a fist over and over again, flexing the digits. "And I haven't learned how to properly conceal that power, either. Which is probably why you can feel them so easily."

"Does your father conceal his?" Tal asked, remembering that at his first dinner with the royal, he hadn't felt as much power coming from the king.

Devan nodded. "Far better than I can. I've only worked on it here and there, anyways. I've been... busy."

Tal nodded absently. "Well... How do we work with my gift, as you called it earlier."

Devan rolled his neck, humming. His hands now rested idly on his knees. "Let's find out."

* * *

Vallartos was beautiful.

Tal stood on the deck, mesmerized by the island rapidly growing in size as they approached. Blinding white sand greeted the vessel as it sailed closer. Multi-colored, glowing rocks formed a pathway across the beach and into the treeline.

But that island...

Tal held his breath when he felt the power stirring there, like a heatwave had hit him. The air grew warmer and clearer, his skin buzzing with whatever the island held. Beside him, Devan smiled at the sight of the island. Tal watched as Devan inhaled deeply, releasing that breath. If Devan could look any more regal, he did.

They disembarked from their ship, and Tal had to force himself to follow Devan onto the beach, reaching that first stone. It thrummed beneath his feet as if alive and purring. Devan led the way into the forest, assuring Tal that it would be a short trip, all the while encouraging him to practice what they'd been working on with Tal.