Chapter 12

The darkness was closing in. Every shadow was a demon threatening to grab him and drag him to some unknown realm. The wind carried dark voices through the air. Tal's head swam with nightmares, his shoulder aching with the phantom pain of that knife.

The path that everyone was told would keep them safe in this place mocked the young assassin. No one was safe on this path. Tal knew that for certain. Images of a woman holding a knife while standing over him flashed through his mind.

He had to get out of here.

"What dangers actually live here?" Kalvir asked, frowning. "I've heard rumors but none of them seem very consistent."

"Oh, the usual horrors," Chesed said from ahead of the group, shrugging his shoulders causally. "Sytyrians, robbers, bandits, witches—"

"Witches?!" Kalvir repeated, going paler than paper.

Devan chuckled. "Honestly, you newbies are so jumpy. They're just witches."

"'Just witches'," Tal muttered.

Devan smiled. "Come on. The chances of encountering a witch is almost the same as being struck by lightning."

"And what do we do if we encounter one?" Kalvir asked, his voice carrying a slight tremor to it.

"What? Encounter lightning?" The prince turned to the young man, an eyebrow raised. "You can't do anything."

"No." Kalvir pressed his lips into a thin line. "A witch."

Devan hummed. "No killing. Not unless absolutely necessary," he insisted. "Witchcraft is forbidden in Tredia. If possible, they stand trial."

The prince halted his horse, climbing down. The others did the same. Tal slid down from his horse, scanning the treelines for danger. His hand strayed to the knife at his belt. He spotted Trynewn doing the same. At least they were both ready to spring into action and defend themselves and the others.

Trynewn narrowed his eyes. "Perhaps we shouldn't have decided to camp here, Your Highness."

Devan grinned, mischief dancing in his eyes. "Come now, Trynewn. We could all use the fresh air. And the forest will give us the opportunity to test our skills. Besides, survival training takes place here."

"Yes, with other trained knights," Trynewn muttered. "These two are barely halfway through the training. And you and Chesed are not yet knighted."

"And you are?" Tal asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Two summers ago," Trynewn replied. "And I do not have fond memories of this place."

"No one does," Devan remarked, handing the reins of his horse over to the young man. "Tal and I will scout ahead for a good place to make camp."

Tal froze, staring wide-eyed at the prince. "Off the path?" While he knew the path never really kept anyone safe, the thought of camping off of it terrified him.

Devan waved a hand towards the narrow path. "There isn't enough room for the tents, horses, and fire, Tal. We'll be fine. Now, come on."

He took the lead, walking through the dense forest, Tal trailing behind him, swatting at low hanging branches and vines. He gritted his teeth, glaring at the back of the prince's head. What a horrible, awful idea for them to be walking through this jungle.

"I can feel you staring, Tal," Devan said "Out with it. What's on your mind?"

Without thinking, Tal said the first thing that came out of his mouth. "I might kill you for bringing us out here, Your Highness." As soon as the words passed his lips, he clamped his mouth shut. He had just threatened to kill the Crown Prince. And had said it right to his face—well... to the back of his head. But still. "Devan, i didn't mean—"