Chapter 24

Choppy waves lazily lapped at the side of the ship, spraying sea mist onto the deck, coating it in salt water. The Dark King stood at the bow of the ship, deep in conversation with Ariel and Heath. The latter was constantly trying to get Ariel's attention, and the girl barely spared him a glance, clearly not interested.

Tal strained against the ropes digging into his chest and biceps. He and Devan were tied rather securely to the main mast, the crew from Devan's ship being held at the Pirate's Keep.

Devan, unlike the assassin he was tied up with, didn't try to break free. And that only served to further irritate Tal. The Prince only sat there, looking up at the gray clouds above. Gulls circled overhead, giving a few cries before returning to the Keep's shore.

He could be helping to get us out!

Tal huffed, turning his head to glare at Devan. "Hey, Princey," he snapped. "You could be using your super strength to break the ropes and get us out."

Devan sighed. "Not yet, Tal."

"Not yet? Not. Yet?" Tal growled. "They will kill us! And, personally, I'd much rather remain alive instead of partying with Poseidon and his fishies for eternity."

The Prince broke his stoic expression, rolling his eyes. "Don't be so dramatic, Tal. They're taking us somewhere. I'd like to learn where first."

"To our graves," Tal hissed. "Watery graves deep beneath the—what is that?—water! Our bodies are going to be partying with the whales down there, Devan. They'll probably kill you last. No worries. I'll just be down there with the sharks. I'll save you some kelp and clams to snack on."

"Honestly, Tal." The Prince scowled. "Do you really think I would let anything happen to you?" He looked at him, expression softening. "Regardless of whether or not you're an assassin."

"Seeing as how I've committed treason—" Tal rolled his eyes— "I'd say it'd be in your best interest to get rid of me and give yourself the best possible chance of survival." He paused, glancing about the ship. Men clad in black clothing and wearing some sort of black face covering—scarves, bandanas, masks, veils—worked on the deck, hoisting the sails and securing the rigging. "I'm good at my job, but I can't get us off this ship alone. Not alive, at least."

"Were you really referred to as 'the world's greatest assassin'?"

Tal huffed. "I didn't give myself that name, but... yes. I was good at what I did. Very good."

Devan snorted. "And yet here we are. Tied to a mast. Waiting for, as you said, to be 'partying with Poseidon and his fishies'."

"I know what I said. And I stand by that statement," Tal snapped. "If we don't do something to escape, your friend there—" he nodded to the Dark King— "will hand us over to the sea god like a neatly wrapped gift."

Devan opened his mouth to respond but was silenced by Ariel approaching them, crouching before the Prince. She tilted her head, staring at him. "Forgive me, Your Highness. But I am not one to betray someone I had already made a deal with."

"What did he offer you?" Devan asked, an edge to his voice. "I understand that Tredia has never had the best relationship with the pirates, but we've left you alone in peace."

"Except for Heath," she reminded him. "Who, to my chagrin, is still a member of our order."

"We only ever interfere if they do something illegal against the Crown and get caught for it," the Prince replied. "Otherwise, we let you handle them."

She shook her head. "Regardless, I struck a deal with the Dark King first. And to answer your earlier question, he offered me freedom of the waters. I truly am sorry that you have to suffer for me to get what I desire."