Chapter 9

If ever there was a moment that Tal wanted to throw himself off a cliff and end his life, it was now. His muscles screamed, so sore that he struggled to even remain standing. He hadn't experienced this level of discomfort during training since his first few years with the league. Chesed hadn't been lying when he said that whatever limits Tal thought had pushed before would reach brand new limits. It was an effort to not collapse on the ground during the ten minute break they were given after four hours of intense training.

Tal drained a cup of water, refilled it, and drained it again. His fellow peers were in a similar state: drenched in sweat, exhausted, and drinking as much water as they could. On the far side of the training ring, Devan and Chesed exchanged some words with each other. The latter wiped sweat from his forehead, still in better condition than the others while the former didn't have a drop on his forehead. In fact, the prince looked rather rejuvenated from the training, eyes clear, posture straight and proud.

Tal turned back to his now empty cup and refilled it for the third time, making sure to take slow, small sips as he tried to lower his heart rate. Kalvir, blonde hair plastered to his forehead, gasped for air, hunched over. The assassin grimaced, understanding the feeling. He approached the young man.

"Don't hunch over. It could make it worse for you later," Tal advised. Kalvir merely tossed him an annoyed glare but straightened, wincing. Tal snorted, setting his hands on his hips. "You know... This is not at all like that test they put us through."

Kalvir huffed out a laugh. "No kidding. This is torture."

"Well get used to it," Chesed said, walking over to them. Tal bristled as the young man approached them. "We don't have time for you to complain. You committed to this. So deal with it."

Tal crossed his arms, meeting those silver eyes. "You're certainly in a good mood." He tilted his head. "What's wrong? Did you sleep with a pea under your mattress?"

Chesed rolled his eyes. "Hilarious." He looked Tal up and down, as if sizing him up for a fight. "I'm rather impressed that you could keep up. You clearly had formal training before returning here."

He offered Chesed a nonchalant shrug. "I never questioned the people who offered to teach me a thing or two about where they learned."

Something devious and cunning shone in Chesed's eyes. "So you admit to being taught before coming here."

"Sure. Just enough to help me survive on my own."

They held one another's stare, both refusing to relent. Tal wasn't sure what exactly he disliked about Chesed. He just knew that he had never really cared for him, even as a kid. They never saw eye-to-eye. Whether Chesed was intimidated by Tal's abilities, he didn't know.

Their standoff lasted long enough to make Kalvir uncomfortable that he coughed, excusing himself. Neither male looked at him or acknowledged that he was leaving. Their silent staring contest was interrupted only when someone clapped Tal on the back with even force to make him stumble forward a step.

"Chesed, we had an agreement that you wouldn't make the recruits nervous or uncomfortable," Devan said by way of greeting.

Chesed grunted, crossing his arms. "They're complaining. If this is too hard for them—"

Devan waved a hand dismissively. "This is only day one. Give them some time, my friend." With that, Chesed walked away, glaring at Tal as he left. Devan turned to the assassin. "I'm sorry about him. We had a talk and—"

Tal turned away. "I don't particularly care. Chesed can hate me if he wants to. It doesn't bother me."

He could feel Devan's gaze lingering on him. "If it gets any worse, just let me know. I'd hate for him to keep bothering you."