Chapter 18

Tal stood with Devan atop a tower, overlooking the Great Sea. Behind them, Chesed leaned against one of the turrets, arms crossed over his chest. Tal stared at the water, squinting as the sun slowly sank towards the horizon, turning the water to gold.

It had been four days since Devan had shown him Tredia's Life Flame. Winter was now in motion. The castle grounds were covered in snow and ice, making training a lot harder.

The assassin crept to the edge of the tower, peering over the side. Below him—far, far below—water crashed against rocks and the side of the cliff that the castle was built on. Ice covered the tips of the rocks, patches of snow nestled into the spaces between the rocks, occasionally being taken away by the waves.

Tal hummed. "Do you think it would hurt if I jumped?"

Devan's head snapped toward him so quickly that Tal was certain he had gotten whiplash from the sudden action. "Yes!" Devan's eyes were wide, as if he couldn't believe his friend had just said such a stupid thing. "Yes, it would hurt! You are not jumping!"

Tal glanced up to meet Devan's eyes, not as uncomfortable with the Prince's stare anymore. "So... Is that a challenge or...?"

Devan narrowed his eyes. "An order. Don't jump."

The corner of Tal's lips twitched upward. It wasn't that Tal enjoyed disobeying orders... but he certainly had an authority problem before. Besides, it was amusing to him to see the Prince so concerned.

Chesed, still leaning against the wall behind them, threw in his two cents. "I'll bet you one hundred gold coins to do it."

Devan threw his hands up in exasperation. "Tal is not jumping! End of discussion!"

Tal arched an eyebrow. "One hundred gold coins? Kind of worth it, honestly. I'm broke."

"Unbelievable," the Prince muttered. He grabbed a hold of Tal's arm and dragged him inside. "My two best friends are trying to get each other to jump off the castle tower."

Chesed followed. "I'm very sure Tal does it to frustrate you."

"I don't," Tal said, looking over his shoulder at Chesed. "But I most certainly would do it to annoy you."

Chesed glared at Tal. "Do you do anything else aside from irritate people?"

"Chesed, that's enough," Devan said. "Tal is still learning."

The Prince's friend crossed his arms as Devan finally came to a stop inside a hall, a pair of maids scurrying by. Devan faced Chesed, releasing Tal's arm. Chesed eyed the gray veins on Devan's neck.

"I just wonder if we really know enough about Tal to have made him a knight. And your bodyguard," Chesed said. "He has a habit of lying, you know."

Devan tilted his head. "Chesed, we've already discussed this. I won't go through it with you again." His voice adopted a different tone to it, one Tal learned that he usually used when he wanted to get his point across. "Am I understood?"

Tal watched, catching the look in Chesed's eyes as he glared at the Prince. "Yes, Your Majesty. I understand." With a stiff bow, the young man walked away.

The assassin frowned, staring at Chesed. "What was that about?"

Devan shook his head. "I couldn't say..."
Tal tilted his head. "About the whole thing that happened at the fire... I can't stay here, Devan."

The Prince turned to look at Tal, sadness shining behind those eyes. "I... I understand, Tal. Truly, I do."

Tal had wrestled with that decision since his meeting with Humaa and Devan beneath the castle. He'd finally found a place where he was starting to feel like he belonged. But the Dark King and his superiors would come for him. And they would kill anyone who got in their way. Or who they suspected of hiding Tal from them. He wouldn't put these people through that.