Chapter 22

A month had passed since Sara had left the Nexus, her heart hard and heavy, grieving in silence as Hayjer went over his plans for her to go around the council and reach Meridian. The plan was sound, perfect even. Sure what they found wasn't exactly Meridian per-say, but it was another step closer. She should be elated. They are so close to defeating the Archon once and for all, but instead all she feels rage. A rage fueled by the sorrow her own brother had caused.

Night after night she tossed and turned, replaying what was supposed to be a joyous meeting in her head, trying to understand him. To understand how he could look her in the eye, his own flesh and blood, and say such horrific things about her unborn child. She started to think she would never be able to forgive him for it. Even if he managed to completely transform his mindset, sincerely apologize, and become the best uncle ever, could she then? Could she forget?

Back on the Tempest, Sara stared into the fluorescent lights of the Med bay in deep thought as Lexi scanned over her swollen belly. "Growth is fast, but on track. I would say patient has about eight to ten weeks before possibility of labor." She leaned closer with an investigative eye. "Eight vertical lines grey, blue, and purple in color, reaching from the navel to the pelvic bone."

"Is that bad?" Sara asked, concerned.

"I don't believe so." She said lightly, before getting a quick scan of them. "Most women in the second to third trimester begin to develop stretch marks, though the coloring is quite different. They are usually dark brown, pink or even silver in color, but I'm curious if the coloration of yours are due to the bioluminescence in the Angaran portion of DNA. Here let me see," She began to press against them firmly with her fingertips. "Is there any discomfort at all?" Sara shook her head. Lexi continued to press along the marks trails when a hard forceful kick, pushed back against her.

"OW!" Sara hollered as she instinctively grabbed her stomach. "I am now feeling discomfort."

"Oh my, the baby is rather active." She said, flashing a rare teeth glinted smile. "That's a good sign."

"Baby? Does that mean we've graduated from fetus?" Sara sighed, trying to pull down her Saran Wrap fitted shirt that barely reached over her protruding belly button.

Lexi chuckled as she typed the stats into the 'little one' s' profile. "Yes well, while I will always believe that we should air on the side of caution, I also don't see the problem in everyone getting excited for your little one to join us. Especially Jaal and yourself."

Excitement. Sara stewed silently at the word. Lexi was right. In as little as a two to three months the baby could come, blessing her and Jaals life in ways they never could imagine. But in that moment excitement was the last thing on her mind. Another thing her brother robbed from her. Another thing to hold against him.

Suddenly Lexi's cold hand covered hers, pulling her back from her silent brooding. "Jaal had told me about your reunion with your brother." Sara huffed and looked to the floor, trying to hid the pain she felt when Lexi bent down to meet her eyes. "He will come around."

"I don't care if he does. He will never be apart of my child's life after what he said!" She growled.

"I know you must be feeling all sorts of things right now. And due to the increased and particularly rare hormones raging through your body, your emotions may be even more difficult than usual to understand or even control, but I wouldn't rush to making any rash decisions at the moment."

Without thinking Sara pulled her hand from Lexi and hissed. "Are you serious!? Do you know what he said!? He basically branded Jaal and my baby as monsters! Something to be dealt with! How could you of all people defend-!"