Chapter 21

Your brother, he's awake.

The words echoed through Ryder's mind as she stood, staring blankly at the secretary. Could it really be true? Could her brother finally be awake? Is she no longer the only Ryder left in this vast, unforgiving galaxy?

She shook her head as a gentle squeeze to her shoulder lured her back to the present. She followed along the three digit, leather covered hand, meeting Jaal's joy filled smile from the wonderful news. She quickly started for the door, almost forgetting the others in the room when she stopped. She turned to them, her mouth gaping silently as she struggled to find her voice when Hayjer stepped forward and said, "Go, we can speak later."

She gave him a quick nod and without hesitation she bolted out of the room. Her mind raced as she weaved through the maze of bustling bodies. She couldn't believe it. Her twin brother, her closest friend for damn near the entirety of her life was finally conscious in Andromeda.

For a brief moment she'd thought she had left Jaal behind in Tann's office when she heard the familiar sound of thundering footsteps following close behind. She rushed down the stairs toward the shuttle, her eyes glued to the opened terminal doors across the way when a guard suddenly appeared in her path, frantically waving his arms out before him. "Halt!" He shouted.

Ryder dug her heels into the metal floor, screeching to a stop. The guards eyes were crammed tight, his hands shaking with tension as he braced for contact. She glared at him, annoyed by the sudden interruption. "Move! I need to get to the medical wing now!" She ordered, trying to push her way past him.

He stepped in her way again. "Apologies Pathfinder, but you will have to wait. The tunnel is undergoing much needed maintenance. Since the Nexus is fully up and running, we finally have the time and resources to update the mechanics to the terminals." He replied, moving just enough for her to see the team of engineers welding around the track.

"Resources?" She growled. "I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but it is because of ME that you even have these resources to begin with!" She slowly inched her way toward him as he coward back. "So, the very least you could do is allow me to get to the medical wing so I can see my brother who has just come to after being in a coma for months!"

He gulped and gave her a nervous smile. "I apologize Pathfinder, but nothing can be done. They have already started and won't be done for a few more hours."

She gritted her teeth, eyeing the team of engineers as her emotions fluctuated from anger, to sadness, to fear and back again. This was ridiculous. Her brother wakes after months of being in a coma and she is forced to wait due to routine maintenance?

She chewed her lip, cursing under her breath as she watched the sparks of metal shavings glisten under the terminal lights. Hours? What if he's only awake for a moment? What if he falls back into a coma before she gets to him? Or worse? No, she couldn't wait that long. There has to be another way around.

She stepped toward the terminal, her hair frizzing slightly as it fell through the holographic caution tape while she looked down the tunnel, seeing both ends blocked by shuttle cars. She began to look for another route when the glistening metal shards cleared, revealing a door to the maintenance tunnels on the other side.

A smirk played on her lips. "SAM, are you able to get a map of he maintenance tunnels?" She whispered.

"Yes Pathfinder." He replied.

She turned back to the guard with a shrug. "I guess it  can't be helped, I'll just have to wait." She sighed, feigning disappointment as she began to walk away.

Jaal walked beside her, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "It's okay Darling one, I'm certain Scott wil-" before he could finish Ryder whipped back around and sprinted past the guard, toward the tunnel. "Sara!"