Chapter 20

"Darling one..."

Ryder shuffled under the sheets as Jaal's comforting voice hummed through her subconscious, beckoning her to wake. She whimpered, fighting to remain nestled in her homemade cocoon, but he persisted. He gently pulled away the sheets, allowing the cool air to caress her skin. "It is time to wake up, Darling one."

Her eyes remained closed, a smile stretching under the warmth of his tender lips peppering kisses along her neck. "Just five more minutes?" She whined.

"Afraid not." He said, placing one final kiss to her lips.

She began to whine once more when a loud obnoxious yawn forced its way from her mouth. Her hands reached high above her head, her legs pulling toward the floor as the muscles from her fingertips all the way down to her toes tingled and stretched. She rubbed the burn of the morning sun from her eyes when her lids fluttered open and she was greeted with the familiar yet, bland surroundings of their room on the Tempest.

Suddenly the elation that resided in her chest from the night before had dimmed. She plopped her head back against the pillow and closed her eyes, trying to hold tight to the joy from the magical night before. Every moment flashed through her mind like vid. Sahuna's dress, the Moshae's comforting words, the unyielding devotion in Jaal's eyes as he made love to her. She smiled, recalling how they walked hand in hand back to the shuttle as the sun began to peek over the horizon. They both beamed with happiness. It was perfect. Well, almost.

Even though she thoroughly enjoyed what little time they managed to steal for themselves, she still found herself wishing it lasted longer. Sure, there was still so much that needed to be done. She needed to get the map of Meridian to the Directors and hopefully devise a plan to stop the Archon, but she just got married. When would she ever get the chance to enjoy such an experience again?

"Darling one?" Jaal called, leaning over her with a smile. "We arrived at the Nexus."

"You know MOST newly weds get a honeymoon." She groaned, pulling the sheet over her head as his words all but solidified the end of their perfect night together.

"Hun-ee moon?" He said, slowly testing the word. "Liam has not mentioned anything to me about a huny-moon." He paused, pondering the word briefly when he asked. "Is it some kind of human ritual? Or perhaps a celebration?"

"No." She laughed, pulling down the sheet to meet his confused gaze. "Well, sort of? I guess. It's a short period of time where the bride and groom get to take time away from everyone and any responsibilities. So they can enjoy each other without being bothered. Like a vacation."

"Vay-kay-shun." He repeated thoughtfully. "Do they go somewhere in particular, on this...vay-kay-shun?"

She shrugged. "Not necessarily, but that's the point. They have complete freedom to do what ever they want together, nothing holding them back. They just...you know...enjoy time together."

He tilted his head, concerned. "But, I always enjoy our time together."

She smacked her palm to her forehead, realizing the bridge still being built between their understanding. She pondered a moment, thinking of a better way to explain when an idea came to mind and a wicked grin crept along her face. "Me too." She said, pressing up against him. "But wouldn't you want MORE time alone? Just you and me. No Kett, no..." her lips skimmed across his as she gently traced her fingers down his chest and stomach. "Interruptions."

He inhaled sharply, feeling her cool fingers wrap around his cock and suddenly her message clicked. With lightning speed he grabbed her wrist, pulling himself free from her clutches and pinned her down to the bed, rolling on top of her. Staring back into his fixed, darkened gaze, her breath quickened.