Chapter 17

Newt's Pov:
I pulled back this time. I did it! Now I wanted her to trust me. "Are you sure about this?" she asked. I knew she already knew the answer. "Are you?" so I asked her back. She drugged her hands away from my neck. Before she let them fall to the sides of her body I caught them. She was looking down. She closed her eyes, then raised her head and opened them, looking at me. "No Newt. Not at all". I freezed for a moment. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know why she had say that. I didn't know what to do. So only this came out. "That gives me confidence". What else could I say? Then a little smile appeared on her face. Then something wierd in a good way happened. She moved my hands around her waist and she hugged me. She hugged me. She hugged me? She hugged me!!! I was surprised at first but then I took control of my body again and held her tightly. "So..." I started. "What's that supposed to mean?". She pulled away, crossing her arms on her chest. "It means it's better to regret things that happened, than things that didn't happen" she smiled. Wait...what? I might have given her a dumb look, because she continued... "Most of the times anyway..." she giggled. I smiled too. That girl was full of surprises...

Your Pov:
He was smiling. I felt my cheeks burning up and butterflies in my stomach. I just hope I won't regret this.

We started to walk back to the others, when Newt stopped me. "What's going on?" I turned to him. He was looking at the ground. "Maybe we have a small problem" he said and looked at me. I started to worry... If problems start appearing from now...we've screwed up. "How small?" I asked. "Um...we..." he started. "We...can't...let anyone find out about us", "Huh?" I was socked and a little confused. "When we first came in the Glade, we made some rules. One of them was no relationship of...this kind is allowed between the Gladers. All this time nothing had happened like this. As years passed no girl had appear this rule had been forgotten. So when Teresa arrived...Alby brought it to the surface again" I crossed my arms. Seriously? "Who on earth had made this bloody rule?". He lowered his head. "I did..." he said hesitantly. "Well...it was just a thought but Alby took it and made it-", "Really?" I cut him. "You thought of that...and now...you brake it?". He sighed. "I could never thought-", "That rule is my favourite one" I cut him again. "I'm serious". He frowned. "What?", "I mean...you're...we've trapped in here. We should try to survive, help each other, try to find a way out, not sitting and having romantic nights with candles right?". He passed his fingers through his hair in confusion. "I guess so" he said then. "Good. Let's go and see if the others are drowning" I said and started walking again.

                   ⁻ᵗⁱᵐᵉ ˢᵏⁱᵖ: ⁵ ᵐⁱⁿᵘᵗᵉˢ ˡᵃᵗᵉʳ⁻

I returned back to the gardens even if everyone was looking at me with a wierd look. Newt had gone to some kind of meeting with the keepers.

"Hey" I heard a voice behind me. I turned and saw Teresa looking down at me. "Hi" I greeted her in a not so friendly tone as she kneeled beside me. "Are you okay?" she asked. Why was she asking? "I guess so. What's all the interest about?". I didn't know why but this girl didn't seem trustworthy. "Just...you know...women solidarity" she smiled. I looked at her carefully, then went back at work. "Aren't you supposed to work? Bloody rule? Do your part?" I looked at her as I planted a wort. Why did they even need all those varieties of plants anyway? "I have a break. Jeff had now take over", "So why are you wasting it?", "I'm not. Thomas told me what happened". The slightest piece of hope I had, just vanished in a few seconds. I gazed at her, then back at the plant. "I'm sorry", "About what?" I asked without looking at her. "Your friends". I stopped the planting. That was a punch in my stomach. Thomas is a speedster. That's for sure! I sat down, facing her, keeping one of my feet up, resting my arm on it. "Is really necessary to talk about it?" I wasn't in the mood. I'LL NEVER BE IN THE MOOD! She sat on the grass with crossed feet. "It's okay if you don't want to. Although...sometimes is better sharing your problems than keeping them for yourself. None can handle so much pressure. Not even mermaids", "You know nothing about mermaids", "Maybe I don't. But I know a lot about humans and you are half human" she said not breaking eye contact. We stayed in silence for a moment. Then I began again. "What I know, is that it's better keep your problems to yourself and not sharing them with others, because 50% of the people just don't care and the other 50% are glad you have them" I shrugged. "Not if they're your family" she was looking at me with an odd look. I couldn't explain it. "Anyway, I just want you to know, I don't judge you. I can't promise though the others won't" she said as she was standing up. She had a point. I didn't know although if she was right. She started walking away. I still couldn't trust her. Something was odd about her. I just couldn't understand what. And why I was feeling that way. "Teresa wait" I stood rapidly. Everyone deserves a chance right? She turned around. "One question" I said and nodded her to come close. As she did, I turned my gaze away from her. "What's that bloody building in the corner over there?", "You mean the Homestead". I nodded. "I don't know much. Just that there take place the gatherings. I've never been in there. Why're you asking?", "Just curious. I saw Newt get in there", "Yeah, they have some short of gathering about Ben. It's weird. I've been told that usually they didn't need one, they had agreed to banish whoever got stung". Bunish? What? How? Ben got stung. By who? How? "What do you mean?" I asked full of questions. She giggled. "I don't really know", "Huh?". What? "That's what I kept hearing around. I don't know what it means either" she shrugged. "But I think it's the first time it takes them so much to decide", "Maybe they changed their minds". She shrugged again. "We'll know in a while". I looked back at her. "Thanks" I said hesitantly. "Your welcome" she gave me a faint smile. "Oh! By the way, you and Newt make a lovely couple. You're made for each other" she said and started walking away. At first I didn't get it. I was just standing there, staring at her. A huge question mark on my face. Then it hit me. "Seriously now?" I yelled surprised and disappointed. I thought none was supposed to know. She turned around, walking backwards. "Don't worry" she shouted out and moved her finger infront of her lips. Then she giggled. I smiled and shook my head. I didn't have the slightest idea why, but I knew I could trust her with this. I turned around and started walking towards that big hut. Let's have a talk with the Gladers' Council.