Aftermath

Oriana woke up in the bed of grass. Her arm laid lazily over the soft bundle of red fur that laid next to her. She slowly sat up and found that she had slept outside all night. It wasn't something she had ever done before, but the heaviness of her lids told her why. She had cried to sleep last night. The little red fox that laid next to her sat next to her to comfort her all night.

Rubbing the tiredness and hopefully the puffiness away she stretched. Petting the red fox next to her she smiled. She shouldn't be as heartbroken as she was, but she couldn't help it. She wasn't courting Ignacio, but she still wanted his friendship. Afterall, that was all he asked for. He specifically asked her to wear it on her wrist for friendship, but now he was cold. He pushed her away the day before, and she noticed he didn't even make eye contact with her when she looked at him during the speech.

She had watched him leave with Dietrich and when she found him after he shrugged off any attention she had directed towards him. She went to her half-brother. She went to him and cried. He had taken her out of the court and to the countryside where his mother took them in. She was always kind and Oriana took her advice with great weight. She enjoyed the refreshing new scene. She hadn't seen his mother for years, and now she held her as her heart broke. As if she was her own mother.

The little fox sent a yip as he woke up. She looked down and pet him slowly letting him know he was ok. She smiled as he moved his head to her lap. It nuzzled against her thigh as she held him closely. The lake reflected the trees that were shining with green, and the ones blooming with flowers and fruits that the small little animals would snatch. The birds chirped at one another and the small air brought her to a state of peace.

"I hope you slept with Bellezza." She whispered. The red fox shifted and pushed his small head into her leg even more. "I love Bellezza." She sighed as she looked out into the world before her. "You've never hurt me before." She smiled at the ember eyes looking into hers. "I don't want to go back." She looked at the water. The reflection of the birds flying through the air distorted by the water.

At the castle she would have to face everyone. Face her friends, the guests, her enemies, and the one that had officially found the way to tear her apart. She felt bad about not returning to the castle, she probably scared Alexei to no end. She was sure of it actually. He probably spent all night trying to find her and had no luck, because she was smart and kept this place to herself.

"I guess I am weaker than I show." She whispered again, as if there were prying eyes. "Dietrich was right, Bellezza. I am not fit to be a queen. I never will be. I will be the worse ruler, and I will lose everything. I will watch the kingdom fall under my rule. I would be better off dead." She looked down at the small fox. "Maybe he was right for hurting me that night. You know, he hit me." She pointed to her side. "He cut me that night. Says it was a drunken mistake, but something in me says otherwise. Sometimes there's a brief softness in his eyes, but there's darkness in them. I never told anyone this before, but here I am. Finally speaking the truth as to why I am so afraid of him."

She sat in silence with the animal loving the beautiful side of nature. The small creature stood and began to walk. She assumed Bellezza went to find food, so she didn't mind. She watched the wall of water ripple on its own. The rocks that stuck in the sand as she walked on the shore just before the water met the sand. She looked at herself in the reflection as she saw the grass in her hair peek out. Pulling them out she used her fingers to brush through her hair. Allowing her braid to fall out completely she heard a small noise. She turned and saw the red fox return.

It laid next to her. Together they sat peacefully.

Meanwhile the king was on his feet again. He had gone immediately to Alexei when he was cleared by Nostradamus for his healing expertise. He had hoped his daughter was with her guard. After the horror that had happened they couldn't take a chance with it, with her being out of touch like she normally was.