Revelations and Betrayal

Madeline felt herself ease as she watched the crowded halls fill. Today was night of lights and she knew Tobias would give a candle to her. He was a gentleman and his heart was kind and soul was pure. She felt like she could love him. Her sister has once loved Bash and Francis, maybe this was the same. At the very least it could be similar. She loved Alexander but he was distant, cold, as if he no longer was human and it bothered her. He bothered her. He was so infuriating sometimes and tonight she wouldn't let it get to her.
She grabbed the dress she would wear looking at it with beauty. Tobias had gifted it to her as another apology for his absence during dinner the first night. She didn't mind it though but no matter what she said he didn't accept. The dress was gold on the top with little black spots through and as the dress got lower the sides became a black loose ruffle with a stripe of gold down the front behind them. She loved it. The thoughtfulness of the gift didn't go unnoticed. In fact she loved it. She would show him by wearing it tonight.
Elise had helped her ready. The night was coming faster than expected and she had felt her nerves come back. She was announcing the courtship with Tobias in front of everyone. She felt herself shake as Elise tied the strings of the corset.
"Relax." Elise spoke. "Tobias is clearly infatuated by you. No one sends a gift this beautiful without the implication."
"Well he has no choice really." Madeline breathed in. "Neither of us really do." She sighed.
"We always have a choice, but in making the wrong ones we hurt ourselves. Sometimes making the wrong ones can hurt others, but be right for you."
"Elise you're very wise but I don't know which is the wrong choice." Madeline sighed. "Enough of this though. Let's finish and get you ready."
The girls laughed as they spoke and placed themselves in front of the mirror. They rested their heads together and sighed. They may not be sisters by blood, but their hearts had said they were. Elise grabbed her hand and squeezed it. It reassured Madeline everything was going to be fine.
Walking out of the room and walking into the ballroom she found it packed. The beautiful decor was placed perfectly to shine the lights and illuminate the room. It was beautiful. People smiled as they drank wine and laughed as they caught up with one another. Her eyes scanned the room as she caught Tobias. He was talking to his father but soon made contact with her. He smiled and excused himself quite rudely.
"Princess you look..." he paused trying to find the right words. "You look beautiful." He said.
"I think you're part of that reason." She smiled. "The dress is beautiful Tobias." She looked down.
"I'm glad you enjoy it." He responded. "To be honest I was unsure if you would. I am not one to buy gifts like this." He shied.
"Well it's perfect." She added.
"Would you like some wine?" He asked.
"Sure." She smiled.
The two walked through the crowd together. She noticed Narcisse smiling as he watched his son and her. She knew he was proud his son was making an effort, but she disgusted herself by thinking this happened because of him.
"Here you are my Princess." He handed her a glass of wine. She thanked it openly. "How has your day been?" He asked. Small talk wasn't their forte but it warmed the way to the serious talk later.
"It was well. How about yours? Did you ride today?" She asked.
"I did. I had something to get out in the city." He added. He looked at her with his doe eyes.
"And what was that?"
"Oh it's a surprise Princess." He added.
"A surprise?" She was shocked. "Tobias I appreciate the gifts but you need to stop apologizing. It really is ok!" She smiled.
"It's not an apology gift this time." He chuckled. "No you'll see." He smiled back.
"Well you surprise me everyday." She added.
"It is the plan." He winked at her. "Would you care to dance?" He asked. A light song played as the dance pairs were beginning to start. He held his hand out.
She smiled shyly and took it. The two spun around the floor. Their eyes never left the other's and she sighed. The pair held their hands together and walked circles. Swapping partners as the dance required and then finding themselves back together. As the song ended she found herself pressed against him. Out of breath she watched him carefully. He was beautiful. He led her off the floor and to the side. "You're a wonderful dancer." He said. When she chuckled he only smiled at her. "I believe this is yours." He handed her a small candle. She took it gratefully. "I'll be right back, I have to speak to my father. We were discussing something important earlier."
As the new song began, Madeline faced the floor. She saw Orianna and Bash. The two bowed. Bash wore a long black tailored jacket that was embedded with a red design. Orianna's dress matched. Their smiles told Madeline she was happy, and that filled her with happiness.
"She looks happy."
"Well Prince Ignacio she is. Although," she sighed and looked at the tall man next to her. "It should've been you." She saw the way his eyes saddened. "Except you walked away."
"Madeline it wasn't easy."
"I don't need, nor do I want, an explanation. She is the one who deserves it." Madeline walked away. She found her friend after the song and walked up to her.