Shattered

The ride had been awkward. Oriana didn't know how to talk to Bash. He was kind and polite, telling her which flowers were which and how to tell the poison berries from the fresh berries. Every now and then she would catch him staring and then smile. He was handsome, and Oriana was not going to protest that. He was sweet, and caring. Bash made sure she was comfortable at all times.

"I know it's not a thrill." He finally said dipping his head down low. "I also know why Madeline had brought you to me to do this. King Charles told me."

Heat rose in Oriana's face as he spoke. "Bash, I didn't mean..."

Cutting her off he shook his head and spoke. "It's ok." He shrugged. "Last time I had someone arrange a marriage for me was my father, with his mistress."

"I'm sorry your father married you to his mistress?" Oriana looked so surprised.

"He did. Then he continued to try and play with her in front of everyone as if she was still his mistress." He added.

"What happened?" Oriana was now genuinely interested. Bash wasn't all that bland now, and was far from boring.

"She got pregnant. Not mine. My father's presumably." He continued. "But then she ran off, and died in childbirth."

"I'm so sorry." Oriana sighed. "I didn't mean to pry."

"It's ok. I am unlucky in love. Everyone I have cared for either died, or married someone else."

"I get that I suppose." She responded. Clearly his attention was caught as he waited for her to explain. "I mean the only person I ever loved outside of my family has chosen to play with my heart, and then discard me like an old rag." She sighed. "Now he's here on his father's orders looking for a woman."

"I'm sorry to hear that." He whispered. "Aren't you also here to find yourself a husband?" He added.

"Yes, and apparently Madeline and CHarles have decided that you will fit just what I am looking for. Yet, they are also willing to let us decide that for ourselves. How funny? You know my whole life I've been told I don't get a choice in things like these and yet, here I am."

He laughed. "I told them I would give it a try, but only if you agreed to it." He admitted. "Quite frankly when I imagined you I wasn't expecting this." He gestured to her.

"What were you expecting?" She asked.

"I was expecting a woman who had her nose in the air because she was a princess, and was being told a bastard was her suitor." He responded.

"Oh no." She giggled. "I would never. I do not think less of bastards than I do of anyone else." She smiled. "I have bastard brothers myself, but my father never legitimized them as his to protect the wives he had seduced.

"Your father seems like a swell guy." He smirked. The sarcasm was evident and Oriana sighed.

"He truly is. My father loves my mother, but my mother does not love my father. She sleeps around with others, and only slept with my father once. That was all it took to have me and she swore she would be done. My father's heart still aches for her, but knowing he can't have her he drinks and finds himself in another's bed the day after." Oriana sighed. "I just don't want to be like my parents. I want a mutual love."

"Well how about we try this. We don't have to do anything. Let us get to know each other and we will go one day at a time." He smiled.

"I'd like that. You know Bash, there's something about me you should know." WHen she saw his question in her eyes she lowered herself off the horse. "I like to be outside. I like to run and hope you never catch me, because the thrill of the chase is my favorite game. You think you can keep up?"