Chapter 10- Sue me

"Love ceases to be a pleasure, when it ceases to be a secret." -Aphra Behn

I've never worked here in the office this long. But since I need to make up all the assignments I missed, I'll just suck it all up.

I type and check every report Stanly gave me. Have I mentioned that he is promoted which means he's in a higher position than me and now I call him boss.

Fucker.

After finishing 23 reports I'm ready to call it a night. I left the office at 9 and planned to visit Hannah's apartment.

We never had the 'talk' because she wasn't aware that I knew. We became distant with each other and I thought maybe this is the time where we could make our heads clear.

And also... I want to say that there is something going on with me and Rebecca. I guess we made a stronger connection.

Before I reach her street, my mom calls me.

"Honey, where are you!? Jess.. My little girl, how is she? Tell me what happened?" She speaked to fast that it wasn't very clear.

"Mom, slow down. What are you talking about?"

"The South Cross hospital called me. They told me Jess got into an accident. Please.. please tell me what happened." I heard her son, her voice was breaking.

Hospital?

"I.. I don't know what's going on. I'm going there now."

"Okay okay. Please be safe. Take care of your sister."

She ends the call.

What the hell?

Why are there cops in Hannah's apartment? I the hurt? Was there a thief, murderer or fuckk I don't know!

My world feels like it splits in half, and gives me two choices. I don't know which one to go to.

Loud sirens filled the whole neighborhood. As a long yellow tape of 'Do not enter' surrounds it.

Just then my phone flashes.

Hannah 10:09 : Andrei I messed up. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt her.

I swallowed the truth in pain. This isn't a coincidence. Was the person she wanted to get revenge on, is... my sister and her boyfriend?

~
I shut my eyes and bite the inside of my wet cheek, forcing myself not to cry anymore.

You're her brother.

You're her first line of defense and yet you let your walls go down.

In the beige walls of the hospital, I stand with my faltering knees.

I picked my phone from my pockets and read messages from her.

Hannah 10:02: Andrei I need you. I need your help, I messed up. Please, please call me back.

Anger flooded in my veins as it quickened my blood. I threw my phone on the floor.  Hit it again with my foot and smash it  with whatever heavy objects I can find near. I kick it off as far as possible from me.

Fuck that.

Fuck you Hannah.

The cops told me what happened. Someone called and directed them into Hannah's apartment in which they saw Jess unconscious on the ground. She was bleeding, full of wounds that are still under investigation on how she got it.

But one thing was clear. Hannah was in it.

After waiting for several hours the doctors finally appeared.

They told me not to worry anymore, what's left are minor injuries. Once the nurse told me I could go visit, I quickly went in.

It's not anger molting inside me anymore but the bitter regret.

We stayed in the hospital for more days until Jess requested comfortable clothes at home.

I told her that I'll make her boyfriend do the errand but she immediately pinched me.

I give her an ear to ear smile. No matter how stupid my sister is I'll always choose her and protect her.

That's what families do.

She called me weirdo by the way, and it made me just smile even wider.