Chapter 4 Old Enemies Reunite

Chapter 4

Coach Aida yelled, "You didn't think of how we could win against a good team like the Yuta High? Most of their players are transfer students from the Americas!" I didn't say anything because I had nothing to say. Kagami said, "I bet we can do it coach." She glared at him and said, "You think we can! We don't even work together!" "I think we can do it coach. You already accepted the request," said the captain, Hyuga Junpei. Then she told us our positions and she made me a benchwarmer. I walked over and sat between a senior and a freshman.

The game started with a jump ball. The referee threw the ball up in the air and Kagami jumped in the air with Trent. Trent was the first one to reach it so he tipped it to Kyle, which was dangerous for us because he could drive to the net quick. He ran to the net and passed it to Trent again, but it quickly went to one of our players. I knew who did that pass because I could see him easily now, Kuroko. My legs started shaking really badly because I really wanted to be on the court with my team. Coach Aida saw it and asked, "Are you ok, Ren?" I nodded even though I wasn't.

Then it was the second half, and Kyle's team was up ahead with the score: Yuta 50; Serin 35. Coach Aida said, "Okay, I'm going to change you in for someone else," she said to one of the freshman boys that was the guy, that looked like he would get a heart attack. Then she pointed at me and said, "Your in Daisuke!" I got up and checked in and ran to where I would have to play forward. I had never played that position because I was short, but today I was going to show them my true height.

The ball was with the other teams. I looked over at Kyle who was smirking at how I looked like hadn't touched a basketball in years and also I wasn't playing point guard. He went and passed it to Ned, one of their point guards and was going to shoot. I ran in front of him and jumped as high as I could. My hands went and blocked the ball when he released it. I then saw him look shocked at how I was able to block him because he was taller than me now. When my feet touched touched the ground I grabbed the ball, quickly, dashed around him to the other side of the court. I passed it to the captain of our team, he dribbled it in towards the net. He then passed it to me and I made the basket. Then Kyle went and tried to pass the ball in to start the game again. He tried to pass it one of the guards, but it was stolen by Kuroko. He quickly passed it to me so I and I dribbled as fast as I could towards the basket, but Trent, who is way taller than me was ready to block me. I quickly passed it to Kuroko, who quickly passed it to Kagami. Kagami quickly ran to the net and dunked it.

Then it was the third half, the score was: Yuta 58; Serin 63. Coach Aida was so shocked, she said, "I can't believe you can withstand your height! At the beginning you couldn't play good." "I use to only play point guard, coach," I answered. She looked at me for awhile and said, "I bet you could play all the positions." She chuckled and we started planning what to do next. I looked over at the Yuta bench and I saw them looking at me mostly, also Kuroko and Kagami because of their great plays. I looked at her and said, "They have a weakness." "What!?" she yelled punching me in the head lightly. "Why didn't you say anything!" I then quickly dodged her punch. Then she looked at us and said," The people who were just in keep playing. But, Captain Hyunga Junpei, switch positions with Ren, he needs to show how good he is before he can be a player I can use anytime." "Yes, Aida," he said.

When I walked on the court it was our ball, so I took it out for our team. I got ready to receive it from our point guard, but Kyle was there ready to steal it. I just stood there, waiting for him to think I wouldn't run. He then turned and saw the ball go straight past me to the other side because Kuroko was there to help. I smirked at him and Kyle's face looked like he got so mad. I started running, but he grabbed me by the arm when I was running fast. He then pulled me hard to the ground and said," You bitch!" I hit my head hard on the ground, but luckily I didn't hear a cracking noise. Then I looked up at him and said nothing because I was stunned. Before I blacked out, I whispered to him, "I feel sorry for you and I forgive you." I then blacked out and the last thing I heard was from the referee yelling, "Foul on Yuta."