Chapter 22

Zhan was now sitting in the taxi, leaning his head against the window while admiring the bright blue sky. He sighed, "this is the only way I can let myself refrain from taking you away from Rong'er's arms," he said as he let another tear escape his eyes.

***

Yibo on the other hand panicked when he no longer saw Zhan. He was worried that Zhan got lost so maybe that's the reason why he hadn't come back yet, but minutes passed there was no Zhan that appeared on his doorstep. Noticing this made Yibo even more nervous and as a result, Yibo paced left and right while biting his fingernails and would spare a look at the door every now and then. 

Rong'er who just came out from the kitchen decided to ask Yibo what was happening. "Yibo-gege? Why are you so...nervous?" Rong'er asked, she had never seen Yibo like this when she first met him. She was used to the image of Yibo that was cold and intimidating but this scene right now almost makes him the most vulnerable human to ever exist in Rong'er's eyes. So Yibo's behaviour right now was really out of the box, that's why she's worried.

"Have you seen, Zhan come back?" Yibo finally stopped walking and asked Rong'er. The girl who was clueless didn't even know that Zhan disappeared, "is Zhan-gege missing?" Rong'er asked, more worried about Zhan than Yibo. 

"He just left through the door and didn't even reply to me, he just left...like that," Yibo was now on the verge of crying but only held back because he didn't want Rong'er to see him vulnerable like this though it's already too late. Rong'er who tried to look at the positive side encouraged Yibo that maybe Zhan is just taking a stroll, looking at the villagers, sceneries, and fields capturing pictures for inspiration in his paintings. 

Yibo who fell for Rong'er's words became calmer than before. The girl guided Yibo to sit down on the couch and talk him out of his current situation. "Maybe Zhan-gege will open the door and greet us with his bright smile and bring something for us!" Rong'er cheered and Yibo agreed with her, "Zhan indeed has the brightest smile and no one can take that spot from him...ever," Yibo said determined and Rong'er agreed with him.

They were happy thinking about Zhan and his arrival when someone came inside their house without them noticing, it was Yilan!

"Yilan? What are you doing here?" Rong'er asked the girl who was dripping with sweat on her face. "I called you earlier Jie!" exclaimed Yilan and was giving glares to her sister who just gave her an awkward smile. Yibo who was not understanding what Yilan said decided to intervene, "what are you talking about Yilan?" Yibo's face displayed confusion and Rong'er wanted to not talk about it but Yilan did it instead of her.

"Jie! I tasked you to tell Yibo-gege and you did not do it!" the 18-year old huffed and looked at Yibo who came back into his vulnerable state and was overthinking that maybe Zhan had left him.

"Fine! Since my sister didn't tell you then I will!"

"Tell me what?!" Yibo who finally can't take it anymore shouted.

"Zhan-gege left!" Yilan then shouted back. These two words were enough to destroy Yibo's shattered world again. While Yibo was spacing out and thinking deeply, Yilan then scolded her sister for thinking that a plan like this would work. 

"Jie! Did you really think that this plan of yours worked well?" Yilan asked her sister who was quiet. "Look what it did to Zhan-gege! It hurt him, it made him retreat because he thought that Yibo-gege is finally happy..." Yilan was now crying recalling the face of Xiao Zhan when he told her that he's leaving. Even though Yilan had known Zhan for just a short amount of time, she can't deny that she felt these homey vibes towards the man and that she now considered him as his 'gege'.