Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Crying did no one any good.  So why was I crying now?

Sadness was even more uncertain, less certain than the color of wind.  My guess it was navy-black.  Darkness had settled onto this forest, quickly, killing my light sources.  Killing the tiny frays of hope I'd built up upon these last few ours.

Why am I crying?

If I couldn't find James...did that mean he wasn't here?  Was he back at the village, being punished by my own placement in the games?

That couldn't be possible.  They didn't know our feelings for each other.  Did they?

Spies usually scrape the town, sometimes up to weeks ahead of the Undeniable Date.  But, even then, I only began to trust in James two months ago.

I wasn't exactly the trustworthy young child.  James wasn't that much older than me, practically a child himself, but smart.  Smarter than anyone I knew.

It was an instant tip-off for me, if you would say.  Nobody actually knew who the Hunters were, until the games were up.  Whoever crawls on their hands and feet, victorious, back to home were imediately chosen.

Yet, some don't even find their way back.

When things like this happen, people can't trust even their own parents.

Elders at the time, choose who they should be.  At solitary moments, they sit in the counsel hall, alone, and vote.  I've seen the wooden black box only once in my lifetime.

It was when I was eight, working as a milk-maid for my guardian.  She was a sweet lady, with frizzy red hair and a plump figure.  Her name was Maerie Finch.

Maerie had sent me out, looking for a run-away baby goat.  It had escaped and been scoping around for at least five minutes.  I knew it could be long gone by then.

I stepped around, calling out, but silenced my voice as soon as I heard them.

The city hall was not blocked off.  We did not even know when or how they would choose the Hunters, all of which who died that last time.

Yet, the window shutter had a break in it, something the Elders had somehow overlooked.  So I peered inside, anxiously.  I saw them, then, unable to understand their words.

It was like a different language.

But, then one left the room, coming back far from empty handed.  The box gleamed with newness, and sat upon the old man's hands like a shiny black diamond.  It wasn't too big, almost as big as a shoe box, but ornate.  I could see carvings, swirls and faces, tattered lace and animal prints.  The silver lock was what frightened me.

It was small, gleaming like a candle in the darkness.  Dripping flecks of pearly light.

But I could see past its beauty, seeing its pure evil charm.  The lock formed to shape a human skull, deep black holes at the eyes.

Someone ripped off a thin sheet of black lace, covering the box, showing it off clearer than my own description.  I ran off before they could open it.

The memory of this frightened me.

But my tears halted, showing me they could quieten at will.  I stared down at my dress.  It was what I was wearing that other day.  The day I was beaten and brought into the cage.

Even then, it was a pretty thing, long and purple.  Black lace fit me at the neckline, hiding the locket behind my bodice.  My hair weighted down, surrounding me with darkened locks all the way down my waist.

Yet, my shoes were simple, dark working boots I'd hidden underneath the skirts.  Easy for walking.  I was glad I'd chosen them, it made life here a tad bit easier.

But still only so.

Walking helped tire me, and water was a large problem.  I couldn't find a stream of it anywhere.  I was weakened at the sight of snow falling, grabbing the stuff and eating it thirstily.  My mouth had become numb before I'd come to my senses.

Looking for James was my only impulse.  I'd done it all day.

He seemed nowhere to be found, like everyone else in these games.  It was almost as if I were alone for good.

Dying alone was a horrible thought for me, and I went on determined enough that the sun went out like a light by the time I'd stopped.

Then I sat, feeling the snow seep in through my outer skirts, leaving me drenched and freezing.  Was it really this cold?  I remembered nothing of the sort.

Crying had tired me even more than walking, and all I ever wanted to do was sleep.  It seemed like a chore for me.  Finally, laying my head down onto the frozen ground, I folded my hands and shut my eyes.  A feeling of fatigue overwhelmed my senses, leaving my body numb and helpless.

I was asleep before I knew it.

Darkness filled my senses.  I sat up, fast.  Propping myself with my hands, I looked into the blackness, seeing nothing.

My back ached, as if a thousand knives split me in half.  Maybe that was what woke me? 

A rustle sounded, about a year away.  A squirrel?  No.  Bigger.

It sounded huge, complete with human strength and sounds.  I heard a groan, as if someone was irritated.  Definately human.

"Hello?"  I called.

The rustling stopped, instantly.  I heard a footstep, backing off.  Slow and terrified.

"Wait..who are you?"  I asked, unable to see a thing.  The footsteps halted, hearing my voice.  Understanding the pleading in it.

"Speak your name." it commanded.

I heard the fear in the voice.  Yet I couldn't tell if it were male or female.

"Mae.."

Then another voice.  "Ah, that's the one," the man whispered to the other.  His voice was deep and husky.  "That's the one the boy asked us about."

A pitiful pair came into my line of sight, and one lit a gas lantern.  Light filled the grove with flecks of golden air.  I saw them clearly.

The woman was awfully dirty, with hair plastered to her scalp.  She was bone-thin, with large brown eyes and a kind smile.  The man was tall, and pale.  He wasn't very strong, by the looks of it.  Nothing like the scary man they took away before me.

He stroked a graying beard, and looked at me.  "Maegan?  Is that your name?"

I nodded, looking down with worry.  Could I trust these strangers?  What were they talking about, the boy told them who I was?  Did they mean James?

The lady smiled at me, motherly and gentle.  "My name is Nim, and this is Richard..we'd like you to come with us."

I blinked at her.  "Where?"

"The structure," the man said...Richard.  "Its a large building, concealed and underground.  The Elders told some of us about it."

Nim's face was knowing,  "Yes, yes, its a place with food and shelter..somewhere to be."

"Do the Hunters know about this place?"  I whispered.

Richard frowned,  "They didn't tell me that."

I flinched, fear seeming to dim my senses.  "You should have known to ask."

"Many people are living there now," Nim told me, obviously unruffled.  She seemed like a woman of many faiths.  "I'm sure you'll be safe there."

Reluctantly following, I found worry an undeniable trait in my life.  It was there, always.  Why shouldn't I worry?  Why would the Hunters not know about the shelter? 

How many times had it been used?

Hunters were made out of original...Hunted.  So..if they'd set sanctuary here before..wouldn't they know all along?

I followed anyways, set on being there.  After all, we still had two more days.  The Feast couldn't be cut short.  It never has before.