Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The world seemed to stop all together. 

Just.  Stopped.

My mind quit working.  My breath stifled itself, making my lungs thirsty for much-needed air.  But most importantly, I stopped.  I.  Just.  Quit.

A low ringing filled my ears, and the loud shouts and noises were lost.  Unexistant.

I leaped forward, abandoning my chore, and broke out into a sprint.  I didn't care that my face was fear-struck, giving the Hunters an opportunity to grab me, too.  Or that my skirt flew out, exposing my workboots.  Or even the very fact that I left my goats, committing the same act as James.  The punishable act.

After all of these facts, only a single word came to mind.  One word to form onto my full lips. 

A name.  James.

My best friend.  The lame one.  The poor boy.  The town's Scholar.

The one who comforted me, even though he knew it bothered him a great deal.  Even so, after my plea to him.  After I asked him.

He went and pulled this unthinkable act.

The name was already poised onto my tongue, ready to ring out to the crowd.  Ready to condemn me.  But, just like my cry, only a faint whisper escaped me.

"James."

My mentor.  My nieghbor.  My partner.  My best friend.  My...

I had stopped running a while ago, unable to break through the outbreak of towns' men and armed forces.  Shoving and scratching, I practically clawed my way through.  I was on my way towards the center of them, when a Hunter flung his fist outward. 

I felt the connection, despite my numbness, immediately.  Pain erupted from my jaw, and I felt myself falling backwards.  Down, down.

My head flew backwards and hit the ground, hard.  It hurt.

Even so, dazed and bloody, I quickly pulled myself up.  Checking myself over, I touched my lips, carefully, noting that they were cut badly.  My jaw and head were obviously bruised.

Again, I shoved, hard, into the them.  My voice was dead.  Silent, and incoherent.  I was hardly aware of the tears until they blinded me.  The people turned into a mass of blurry images, unfocused and meaningless.  I blinked again, and again. 

No, no, no, no.

I had made my way to the center.