Chapter 17

Chapter 17

If rain were words, the drops would fall freely from my lips. 

I edged, slowly, away from our campsite--a roughly dug firepit and shelter beneath a sharp rock cleft--and hid in the leafy underbrush.  We had heard movement, far beyond us, but all too near for comfort.  I turned my head, seeking James's face.  He was watching me, solemnly.  Ariana was left behind, taking refuge under our rock cleft.  I only could hope the person wouldn't be able to see her tiny profile. 

James inched closer, knife drawn.  I held my breath.

Before the fire, James had been hoarded his meals, too cautious to actually steal the food inside the kitchen.  But after, the comotion was so great, he ran in and cleaned the shelves out as much as he could, leaving the rest to burn.

The knife was taken from a corpse.

I moved a fraction, daring myself to lift my eyes.  My mentor was so close to the edge of the woods, close enough to see the approaching profile.  Yet all I could see was green.

Leaves and twigs snared me, climbing all the way to the bases of trees.  Underbrush was thick in this part of the woods. 

My ears were mandatory, straining deftly for the slightest break, or footstep.  I heard nothing but birds.  The sky was gray, burning moth holes into my eyes.  Casting a dark shadow over this entire area.

The only light was radiating off the person's torch, welling up like a miniature sun.  It danced like the fire inside our ruins.  I could feel the heat on my face.

That was it.  I couldn't bare this any longer. 

I forced my feet to move, still hidden well by the shadowy leaves.  James was already out of my line of sight, focused only on the stranger.  My mind was for him.

As if through tattered lace, I peered across the plain.  The figure was silent, whipping its head back and forth, almost frightened.

Then I made out James.  He was staring out, also, face hidden away. 

A cloak covered most of the person, face included.  All I could make out was the torch, lighting up the falling darkness.  The cape billowed, picked up by a wind that was nonexistant.

Yet the way they moved was frail, almost innocently afraid.  I nearly marked it as harmless.

Then..the hood came down.