Chater 8

Chapter 8

I suppose everyone has a distinct past.  You were born, probably went to school, and eventually grew up.  Maybe gotten a job, or had a family. 

Some people have a distinct future.  A destiny, a kismet.  No matter how small or how important.

Mine, I had to say, was uncertain.  Even less certain than my own death. 

Bitter frost coated my knees as I stumbled, barely able to pick myself back up.  Barely able to survive this game.  I hadn't been captivated long.  For all I know, it could have been days before I had woken up to the locked closet.  It felt like a year.

But, it was almost too soon when they unlocked that door, beating me back with a cane, and shackling my wrists with wood and rope.  Soon after that, they led me to the forest with a corn sack covering my eyes.

It was strictly spoken that only the Hunters may know the whereabouts of Wolfron Forest. 

I didn't care one bit.  The darkness had become my cloak, concealing me from the hatred of this awful place.  We had walked for what seemed like hours.

The only thought I had was of James.

Where was he?  Would we find each other?  Surely he wouldn't be far away.

But, as they led me to the heart of the forest, I waited for more footsteps.  After waiting a half hour, I ripped off the bag, wincing as the light seeped in from the dense pine needles.

No one was here.  I was completely alone.

Where was he?  Where were the others?

"James?" 

My voice was nothing louder than a whisper, but it still echoed off all of the deadened bark.  The sound of it buried my heart in lonelieness.  And, after weeks of torment and fear, I was deeply afraid. 

The sky had taken on a grayish black light, casting dark shadows everywhere I turned.  My mind whirled, thinking the Hunters had come for me.  But, of course, that was not possible.

They had a Feast to eat.  We were given three days to scramble around in this death trap. 

Remembering this, I fought the strange urge to stay put, and forced myself to move.  It would mean sooner death to stay where I was.  It would be better to get used to this place, and get to know my surroundings.  And, simply, get away from here.

"James?"  I tried again, saying it louder.  My voice was beginning to work again, and I began shouting.  "Hello?  I anyone here?  James!  Can anyone here me?"

But, once again, I was greeted with silence.