15

I spotted Nessie's name in the newspaper. That block of the page talks about her new book. I already predict that she'll do this. 

Kahit noon pa, ganito na ang ginagawa niya. Ang pinupuntirya niya ay ang public. Even if she was my wife before where she can sit still and look pretty, she didn't just lavish our money. Hell, she didn't even use it. Tumutulong siya sa pagpapatakbo ng kumpanya. She did her part in charming the public. Making the clients make their first dial to us when they decided to publish something. That's her quirk. While I'm busy running the operations and finances of the business, she forms connections.

She contributed to the company. It's the truth no matter how my mother denies it. The sad part was I never told her that she did something big for the business to flourish and I never contradict my mother.

Siniyasat ko ang isinulat na artikulo sa kanya. I harrumphed when everything I read is positive reviews about the book. She is a prominent writer after all. 

Ang isa pa sa nakatawag ng pansin ko ay ang katanungan kung bakit hindi sa publishing company ko ipinublish ang libro niya. I cannot believe they were serious when they're asking this question.

Jesus. We are already separated but they are pushing us to still work us a team. Ni hindi nga kami maayos. Saan ba nila nakita ang mga dating mag-asawa na magkasundo? Kung tutuusin ay bihira lang iyon. Isa pa, may karapatan ang babae na gumawa ng sarili niyang desisyon. 

I read her answer and nodded in satisfaction. 'I went to apply to an independent publishing company instead because I want to stand on my own feet. I have been married for the last sixteen years and I didn't know I could do something big. I never knew I could write a book again. I want to do everything on my own, in my own phase.'

That's an excellent answer. She really is articulate in her words. Ni hindi niya nabanggit kung gaano kasama ang kasal namin. She didn't make me a bad guy.

Goodness. I never expect that there will be a day that I'll agree to what she's saying. Hindi kami nagpapansinan habang kasal kami at ngayon naman na hiwalay kami, lagi kaming nag-aaway. It's kind of ironic. Nevertheless, it just need a little bit of empathy to understand where she's coming from. Nang makapagnilay-nilay ako noong nakaraan ay saka lang naging malinaw ang lahat.

Imagine being a hopeful promised bride who wants to be loved by the man she adored but was discarded easily.

I cannot lie that it's shitty. 

"Dad, okay ka lang ba?"

Naibaba ko ang hawak kong dyaryo. I was pulled from my stupor and realized I'm still in the dining room, eating breakfast with my daughter.

"Of course, bumblebee. What makes you think I'm not?"

"You are humming and nodding like crazy habang nagbabasa ka."

Sumimsim ako sa kape para maitago ang pagkapahiya. "You must be ashamed to have a crazy father," I jested. Hindi ko siyang tumawa pero hindi iyon nangyari.

"I'm not. At least alam ko kung saan ba ako nagmana." She smiled sheepishly. "Anyway, Dad. Do you have spare change?"

Tumaas ang kilay ko sa narinig. "Why? Naubos mo na ang weekly allowance mo?" 

Mabilis siyang umiling. "It's not that. I want to buy Mom's book as a support for her."

"And you don't have any extra money to buy one?"

"I already allocated my budget, Dad. Kung gagalawin ko iyon, baka kapusin ako."

I sighed before fishing my wallet in my pocket. Kumuha ako ng dalawang libo doon para iabot sa kanya. "Here."