21

"Dad! How is it?" Bumblebee hopped towards me the moment I stepped foot in the house. Martha is nowhere in sight, even the other maids. Marahil ay nasa quarters na sila.

Isinara ko ang pinto at hinalikan muna si Hansse sa noo. "You won't ask me first how my day went?" I jested, hoping it will divert her attention.

"Dad!"

Huminga ako nang malalim at nang mapadaan sa dining room ay doon na lang nagtungo. Sinundan ako ni Hansse doon at alam kong hindi niya ako titigilan hanggang hindi niya naririnig ang gusto niya. She looked at me and I tap the vacant chair next to me, signing her to sit down. Sumunod naman siya.

"Well?" She enunciated impatiently.

I sighed. Again. Mariin ko siyang tinignan at kinakabisado ang mukha niya para malaman kung ano ang pagkakaiba pagkatapos ng sasabihin ko. "Can't you just ask for a extravagant party?"

Her face fell. "Mom did not approve?"

I gulped. "No. She approves..." Napahawak ako sa batok ko. "But can we just organize a party for you instead? For once, let us not spoil you."

Her eyes squinted. "Isn't it the opposite. Bakit sinasabi niyong ini-ispoil niyo ako kung ayaw ko naman magparty ng bongga?"

"But you are requesting something difficult."

"Hindi ba't pumayag si Mom na? Bakit may problema pa?"

"Yeah." I went silent for a while. "Tingin mo ba makakabuti sa amin iyong magkasamang dalawa ng ilang oras?"

"Why? I thought you two are okay?" Her forehead creased. "Or you messed things up again?"

I groaned when she hit the jackpot. I think I fucked things up but I don't know what I've done to do it. Bigla na lang nagbago ang ihip ng hangin nang nasa coffee shop na kami. She suddenly became cold and distant and I think I really did something wrong that I did not notice. Baka may nasabi akong masama at dahil si Nessie iyon, hindi niya sasabihin kung anong mali.

I really wanted to apologize earlier but she doesn't want to meet me in the eye. Baka wala na siyang enerhiya pa para kausapin ulit ako. One nod and then we separate ways. 

I'll talk to her after a few days when her anger cool off. Umaasa akong magkakaayos kami kung hindi ko pa tuluyang nasira ang kakasimula palang na kapayapaang nabuo sa pagitan namin.

Tumingin si Hansse sa ibaba at malungkot na ngumiti. I felt someone punch me in the stomach and I instantly felt guilty. I think I failed to realize that no matter how optimistic this girl is and how effective she masked her feelings, this set-up between me and her Mom affects her.

"I don't know, Dad. I never experienced us having family bonding except if it's mandatory. Like every family day in the university. Iyong huling beses na nagawa natin iyon, tingin ko ay noong bata pa ako. Na tipong hindi ko na maalala iyon." She held her breath like she wants to stop the tears misting her eyes. I wonder if she shows this side of her to Nessie or not. "And I want to experience it again. Maybe for the last time."

"What do you mean last time?"

She shrugged before answering. I can clearly see how her lips quivered. "I don't know. Kasi baka mamaya, bumuo rin kayo ng kanya-kanya niyong pamilya. Your own family you can wholeheartedly spend your day with."

I tugged her to me so I could hug her tightly. I felt the urge to comfort her even though she wouldn't tell me. She needs one at the moment. Ilang sandali pa ay yumugyog ang balikat niya. I almost forgot that no matter how Hansse ages, the fear of abandonment will still be there.

"We will do what you want. We will go together as three, okay? No need to cry." As much as I want to assure her it won't happen, I am also not sure. I cannot find myself marrying again but I cannot say the same to her mom. Pinili ko na lang tumahimik kaysa magsalita nang hindi tapos.