Chapter 18 - Conflict

At times, Obi-Wan thinks there is nothing he loves doing more than meditating with Anakin. It's the only time their Force signatures are entwined together so deeply, and if he's being honest with himself, he is... somewhat addicted to the feel of Anakin's presence. It's so brilliant, so... good, so light, even now that Anakin has become a Sith. Not that he has any room to judge, because he's a Sith as well. Never could he have thought that embracing the Force in its entirety would be so fulfilling.

"Stop thinking so much," Anakin grumbles mentally over their bond. "You're distracting me."

Obi-Wan sends apologetic feelings. "I don't think this session will be particularly productive. The Force is... being elusive right now."

"I know," Anakin says aloud, opening his eyes. They're shining with unspoken adoration right now, and it is strange, though not at all unwelcome, to be able to visibly see how he's the center of someone's world. They stare at one another for a long moment, a million unsaid things passing between them.

It's not until Obi-Wan senses an approaching Force signature that he looks away from Anakin – his former Padawan, his best friend, his child. Plo and Depa are standing a distance away, though they're clearly intending to speak to the two of them, so Obi-Wan gives them his full attention, rising smoothly to his feet, Anakin standing at his side.

"Obi-Wan, I see you have returned to Coruscant," Plo speaks. In the Force he is calm, but there is a definite undertone of apprehension which is... strange.

"I have," Obi-Wan confirms.

"How was your trip?" Depa questions.

Obi-Wan knows what they're doing. They're engaging in small talk before they get to what they really want. He instinctively reaches out with the Force, but it is calm, not warning him of any imminent danger. A part of him is upset at himself, at his inability to trust the Jedi, his friends – his former friends? – even after everything that has transpired, but their actions against Anakin were the final straw, pushing him to turn his back on them. And then, he was considered a traitor for so long that he had resigned himself to the knowledge that his fellow Jedi would be more likely to attack first and ask questions later should they encounter one another. Some things, he supposes, will take time to change.

"It was good," he replies politely, crossing one arm across his chest as he strokes his beard. "Did you need something?"

Plo and Depa exchange a look, and Obi-Wan is not oblivious to the fact that some of the Jedi here are listening in, even if they're doing so surreptitiously. "We heard, of course, that Masters Vos and Secura have elected to join the Sith," Plo informs him, "And we were wondering if... we could learn more of your ways."

"But you don't want to join us?" Anakin asks before Obi-Wan has a chance. He's still too taken by surprise. This is the last thing he would have expected to hear from Plo or Depa, the former especially. He has long been on the Council.

"Not yet," Depa tells him, shaking her head. "We want to know more about your ways first before we decide. Is that a problem?"

Obi-Wan glances at Anakin, and their eyes meet for a moment, an unspoken agreement passing between them. "No," they chorus. "It would be our honor to teach you more of our ways," Obi-Wan adds. It's the truth. Teaching someone to be a Sith is very different than explaining to a Jedi how to be a Sith. The former is easier than the latter because it involves training someone to change their entire relationship with the Force. That's not true for Jedi since they will still be following the ideals they always have. In many ways, that would make instructing them harder, but it is still an honor to teach them, especially if they want to learn.