one

I originally published this on ao3 as a oneshot with 23k words LOLLL but i decided to break it into chapters here in wattpad :') i wrote this baby for zhongli's birthday so i hope you enjoy reading as much as i enjoyed writing!

...

"Miss? Are you alright?"

You blink out the spots in your eyes when you hear Ganyu call out to you in a worried tone. She's standing awkwardly by the side of your cubicle when you finally snap out of it, and you receive the documents in her hands with a rushed apology.

"Sorry, I've been feeling under the weather lately," you reason, signing whatever she needs to have signed before handing it back. "This is nothing, though. Anything else you need?"

She hesitates for a moment, as if gauging whether or not she should pry, before speaking her mind. "Um, if you're having trouble falling asleep, I could recommend a shop that sells qingxin petal tea. It's based in Feiyun Slope, and I always order my stress relieving herbs from there."

Despite the weight settling across your eyelids, you manage to flash Ganyu a gentle smile, tearing a blank Post-It off the pad on your desk before giving it to her. "Could you write down the name of the store? I'll make sure to check it out before I head home for the night."

Ganyu visibly perks up. "O-Of course!"

When she slides the piece of paper back onto your desk, the secretary exchanges farewells with a curt nod – saying she has to pass over the files for Mister Zhongli's perusal before anything else. If Ganyu notices the way your staged grin falters, she doesn't say anything. But once you're alone, you can only slink back into your chair with a contemplative look on your face.

You aren't going to check out the store that Ganyu recommended like you initially promised. After all, your kind has never responded much to any sort of human medicine. Whatever's bothering you is only going to be resolved if you stop being stubborn and fed on time – something you only care to do once a month at most.

Even after living your life as a succubus for almost twenty-four years, the idea of having to draw out your life force from... that still made you sick to your stomach. It's bad enough that your strange constitution wouldn't let you settle down and have normal relationships, but having to constantly find a source of nutrition is a pain in and of itself.

Your body has quite the standard for the men you're supposed to suck some sexual energy out of, too. When you indiscriminately pick some rando you saw on the street, you might not effectively absorb the energy you harvested if you aren't invested enough.

Case in point: unless you try to sleep with someone you remotely care about in their dreams, you're going to keep craving for a proper fix.

Last month, you had to terrorize the poor barista who's been serving you coffee at that new café across the street. You thought he wouldn't think much of it, since you had the inkling the guy was hitting on you every time you ordered. But lo and behold, mister charming, suave barista is actually quite timid when it goes down to it. Your sessions usually took an hour at most to complete and you wouldn't have to harvest energy again for at least another month. But that guy? You could barely ask him to strip without having to deal with him stumbling out of his dream-bed out of sheer embarrassment. Took you three hours in that dreamscape just to get the bare minimum out of him. And that just goes to show that the people you meet aren't always what they seem to be – yourself included.

As entertaining as that session turned out though, you couldn't really make substantial progress with mister barista, which eventually led to your premature hunger pangs. You started feeling a bit off-kilter last week, but you made the mistake of listing it off as nothing but a seasonal flu or something. Once your co-workers caught wind of how exhausted you are at work, you knew it was that time of the month again.

You can always just make up for the minimal energy gain of harvesting from a complete stranger by invading multiple strangers' dreams, but you still have some shred of dignity. Well, you could just settle with the men in your department, but those slobs are the last ones you'd ever consider sleeping with. But then again, your team is working on a big, end-of-year project that you can't afford to slack off on, so you need to find this month's match before your body shuts down completely – even if that means seducing your awful desk neighbor in his sleep.

"Hard at work again, I see."

You startle at the sound of a deep-seated voice coming from behind you, whisking your chair around to see your boss showing you a kind smile. It isn't unusual for Zhongli to do some rounds in the office, but –

"Ganyu was looking for you, sir," you blurt out, trying not to focus on how his neatly pressed tie compliments his eyes. "She had me sign some documents for the project you asked me to oversee, and it seems like she was on her way to your office."

He hums. "I see. I just made a quick trip to the pantry, but I've yet to figure out how one operates the machine they installed in the break room. That's why I just asked my assistant to purchase a drink from the coffee shop down the street... Are you alright? You're looking quite pale."

"Yeah, I've never been better," you lie, trying to force out those memories of too-timid-for-his-own-good barista out of your head. "I'll make sure to follow up on my assigned report at the end of the week, sir."

Once again, your senses jolt to life when you feel a large, comforting palm settle on your aching shoulders, giving you a few pats. The sincerity in Zhongli's eyes doesn't fade, and you're seriously wondering how he has it to be so encouraging all the time.

"Everyone deserves to rest when their bodies require it," he says. "Don't hesitate to file for sick leave if you're unable to perform at your fullest because of health reasons. I didn't overhaul the employee benefits clause in your contracts for nothing."

Your face heats up at the thought of your boss being this considerate of your well-being. You've been working at Wangsheng Corporation for almost two years now, but employees have never been treated the way Zhongli treats them. It's a miracle that he got transferred here last month – with his gentle voice and mindfulness of others. When he walked through the doors of your department that day, the last thing you expected was a compassionate superior, given that all those assholes in the corporate ladder only cared about money and none else. He was easily a breath of fresh air in the smog of Liyue Harbor, and you're not about to complain.

"I best be on my way," he tells you with a hint of remorse. "I'll be attending a board meeting in thirty minutes. Once it's been adjourned, you can come to me if you need anything."

Come to him if you need anything...

For some reason, his words ring inside your head longer than they have to. But before you can even get your bearings straight, your mind is suddenly plagued with images of your boss in a more sensual setting.

You picture a Zhongli who's free from the stifling confines of his suit – regardless of how dashing he looks in it, you always wondered what he would look like dressed down. You imagine him lying on his bed, golden eyes half-lidded as he beckons you closer; how his hot breath would make your skin tingle as he whispers all the lewd things he wishes to do with you –

"Of course, sir," you tell him in real life, mustering up a smile that's enough to hide your own embarrassment. "Thank you for taking the time to stop by."

Zhongli raises a hand to wave at you before sauntering off to his office, leaving you alone with lecherous thoughts and a growling stomach. But the moment the door clicks shut behind him, you come to a guilty conclusion.

Guess I already found this month's target.