three

"You're looking worse and worse each day, you know that?"

This time, the person who bothers you at your cubicle is none other than your superior, Director Hu Tao. Though, even if she holds the highest position in the Wangsheng chain-of-command, she's a bit too free-spirited to call a proper boss.

She watches you slave away behind your laptop with folded arms, not looking the least bit amused. Though she wasn't really meant to know, the director is one of the few people – more like, the only person – who's aware of what you are and what you do to survive. It's probably because Hu Tao comes from a family with deeper connections to all things supernatural, and thankfully, she's more understanding of your predicament than you'd otherwise expect.

In fact, she was kind enough to let you keep your job so long as you don't let your...special needs affect your work. But for all of Hu Tao's usual antics in the office, you know there's no escaping her when she gets serious about something.

Especially when she's nagging you about feeding intervals.

"When's the last time, hm?" she asks, poking your cheek. "Aiya, you've lost the flab on your face. Come on, how am I supposed to pinch them now?"

"About a month ago," you grumble as you revise an important email for the fifth time today. "Director, shouldn't you be in your office? I heard from Ganyu that you've been passing your work onto Mister Zhongli."

"Pah, the consultant can deal with all the trifling matters in my stead." Hu Tao shrugs. "Besides, he's the one who started advocating for better employee conditions in this dump, right? I'm just making sure my subordinates are healthy and happy in the workplace~"

Speaking of Zhongli, it's been a while since you saw him around. The last time you heard his voice was the night he called you out of nowhere – the same night you hijacked his dreams. Now, it's already the end of the week and you're yet to meet with Zhongli despite the deadline he gave you days prior.

"I can hook you up with a bunch of guys I know," Hu Tao suggests, unceremoniously swinging herself on top of your desk. "All you have to do is get inside their heads and do the magic, right? Hmm... If that's the case, why don't you just pick a random celebrity or something?"

"It doesn't work that way, director," you sigh. "If it were that easy, I wouldn't be having this problem every month."

"Ehh, you're so choosy." She pouts. "If sharing a dream with strangers doesn't work, why don't you just come after them in real life? Nothing beats the real thing, right?"

You're mildly aware of how loudly Hu Tao started to mouth off about your...predicament, but fortunately it was the middle of lunch break, and none of your desk neighbors were present to overhear. Pushing your chair from beneath the desk, you breathe in deep as you consider the director's words.

In hindsight, she was right. You know a bunch of succubi and incubi who copulate with humans nearly everyday – more because they're weird sex addicts than them trying to last themselves to the next day. But you were drawing blanks as to how you're going to explain to Hu Tao that the creatures she might have heard about have sex to enjoy it; you have sex to survive. The act itself still makes you squirm, so even if you have attempted to harvest energy in real life, you'd rather steer clear of resorting to that if you could still do the same thing in an unsuspecting man's dreams.

But now, you aren't even able to squeeze the tiniest ounce of sexual energy from your usual method. Hence, the problem.

"I'll think about it," you half-promise, stretching your limbs with a quiet sigh. "Oh, and if you see Mister Zhongli anywhere, could you tell him I'm done with my report? I was going to ask when he'd like to see it, but I haven't seen him around lately."

"Hm? Oh, right. I asked that guy to secure a deal with a Snezhnayan diplomat who's visiting Liyue over the season," Hu Tao tells you before hopping back to the floor. "Well, hope you get some sustenance soon, little devil. Wouldn't want to find you all shrivelled up from sex deprivation one day."

"Director, please..."

"Hahaha! Just teasing~"

Hu Tao hums a lively tune once she scampers away, and you're left staring at the blinking cursor on your screen. The email you were drafting is supposed to be sent to the PR officer of the company you're trying to scout with your report-slash-proposal attached as an extra file. But you can't send it in without Zhongli's green light. What's worse is that it's starting to get busy in the office at this time. The end of the year is the most hectic, and you're not sure if you're ever going to get used to the hustle and bustle that comes with it. It would make sense why Zhongli is suddenly hard to catch.

And your feeding shortage just had to coincide with all of this.

You pull out a hand mirror from your bag, inspecting the way your face looks. Eyebags and chapped lips can easily be concealed with makeup but it's more difficult to mask the way you're abnormally losing weight. Even Hu Tao was able to notice it right away. If only eating human food actually contributed to your body mass...

"Tonight for sure," you mutter – knowing damn well that your words are only worth half a promise.