eleven

This chapter contains NSFW content!

...

The next day, Zhongli comes over to your apartment to prepare dinner for you. He's been excited all week to serve you his signature bamboo shoot soup, but Xingqiu's words haunt you for the entirety of the day. You try your best not to make your distress obvious to your boyfriend, but you're gravely mistaken if you thought Zhongli wasn't going to catch on.

"Is anything on your mind?" he asks softly, pressing his lips to your neck. You're seated comfortably in his lap as the two of you lounge on the sofa. But even if this has become one of your favorite places to relax with him, you just can't bring yourself to do so now.

"Just...work," you sigh as you rest your head across his chest.

The beat of his heart is steady like usual, reminding you that Zhongli is real and breathing right beside you. That he's not just a product of your dreams, like your mind always leads you to believe.

"Somehow I don't believe that." You can almost hear him pout. "Was dinner not to your liking, perhaps?"

"No, it's not that," you insist. "I'm just...really tired is all."

That's not exactly a lie. You're starting to feel the effects of your own self-deprivation with each passing day. And even if you already learned your lesson last time, your conscience can't take the idea of feeding on another person when you have a boyfriend. To further add to your list of problems, even if you wanted to harness energy from Zhongli, the setting of his dreams is too convoluted for you to pick up the right momentum.

Rex Lapis was working hard to defend the land that he and Guizhong dedicated their lives to protect. Even if you appeared as the woman he loved more than anything else in his dreams, you doubt you'll be able to seduce him during such a crucial period in the war.

So now, you're stuck in a stalemate between your own stubbornness and physiological needs. You're not even going to be surprised anymore if your body just suddenly gives out on you one of these days.

"Can I propose something that could take your mind off such trifling affairs?"

The room falls silent once he utters the words, and you feel the blood rush to your cheeks. Was he suggesting what you think he's suggesting?

As far as intimacy goes, you haven't really gone all the way with Zhongli. Apart from the occasional makeout sessions in the break room, in his office, and sometimes even his car, you never really sought for anything more than that. You're well aware that Guizhong's death is still fresh in his heart, and if he ever considered the possibility of sex, you'd want him to come to you in his own time.

This is quite the opportune moment for it, too. You're barely keeping up appearances now that your stockpile of sexual energy started to dwindle. But now that Zhongli was coming onto you, you suppose it won't hurt to kill two birds with one stone.

There's something different in the air as he carries you to your bedroom – lips never straying too far from yours. Zhongli's eyes are heavily lidded with want, a look you have a tough time imagining on him given the man's saintlike patience. But as he carefully peels off your clothes, you can't help but think how different he is from Rex. Where the God of Contracts is ferocious and impatient, Zhongli seems like he's going to take all the time in the world to drown you in his love.

"That tickles," you mewl as his fingers trail across your inner thigh and you feel him smirk against the skin of your throat.

"I know," he says. "I quite enjoy seeing you squirm underneath my touch."