seven

The days pass by before you know it.

Along with the end of the year comes the beginning of your newest project. Zhongli was kind enough to lay all the groundwork in your stead, and all you had to do was secure some due partnerships with other companies residing in Yujing Terrace. With just a bit more convincing, you might even get the Liyue Qixing to become one of the official sponsors for the event, especially with someone like Ganyu by your side. Rumor has it that she's one of Lady Ningguang's favorite secretaries, until Zhongli whisked her away. You just prayed that she won't take your boss' past history of secretary-nabbing personally.

Your reputation has slowly picked up in your department as well. For the past two years, you were always careful about the connections you made because even if Hu Tao is privy to your unique constitution, you'll be forced to switch locations if someone catches wind that you're a succubus. You're certain that the director could pull a few strings if something like that ever happened, but you never really liked relying on others too much – more so making them share your burdens.

At least, that's how things were before Zhongli entrusted you with such an important task.

"There's a drinking party somewhere at Chihu Rock – one of the newbies is treating," Zhang, the desk neighbor you used to hate so much, informs you as he stuffs his laptop into his backpack. "The girls from accounting asked me to invite you, if you're wondering."

You cast him a surprised stare while you tidy up your own workspace, sparing a quiet laugh once you get ahold of yourself. "You guys aren't bullying the new employees into footing the bill, are you?"

"Hey, if this is how they want to get in their seniors' good graces, who am I to say no?" He shrugs, slinging his bag over his shoulder. "So, you coming or not?"

Now that you think about it, you don't particularly have anything else to get done for this week. All the necessary preparations for the first leg of the event are in place, and your team members assured that they'll give you a ring once something comes up.

"Sure thing," you tell Zhang with a smile. "There better be finger food."

Company drinking parties aren't as bad as you thought. They're not mixers in disguise, like all the manga you've illegally downloaded off Inazuman websites suggested. You got to know your close colleagues, and some other people in departments that rarely come into contact with yours. The alcohol isn't half bad either, especially when the lively newcomer Zhang told you about is going to make good on his promise. You're not so stuck-up that you'll deny free food and drinks once they're offered.

To your dismay, you still aren't used to drinking with a lot of people as company. Normally, you just grab a few packs of beer from the supermarket before consuming them in your lonesome at home. You realize a little too late that if you're drinking out, you really shouldn't be chugging glass after glass as if you're the only person enjoying the liquor out here.

After a few more pints, some of your co-workers have started to tap out – making you pout at them, red-faced and more pissy than usual. "What? You guys are going? And here I thought these drinking parties lasted until morning."

Zhang shakes his head at your side, clinking his glass with yours before downing his drink. "Right? These guys have been hanging out with us for months, but they act like they can't handle drinking on a work night."

"Hmph, we all know why you're insistent on staying behind tonight, Zhang," one of the girls from accounting – Chen? Was that her name? – says, rolling her eyes as she hoists her handbag over her shoulder. "Just...take care of her, alright? Zhongli's going to kick your ass if something happens."

You're still feeling a bit woozy from the beer, so you can only crane your head in confusion. What did she mean by take care of you? You can take care of yourself, thank you very –

"I will, I will," Zhang chuckles, and suddenly, you feel a heavy arm drape itself across your shoulders – making you wrinkle your nose. "I never expected her to drink so much, but it's a good thing that I'm here."

"I doubt that," Chen scoffs. "Oh, well. See you guys tomorrow!"

Once the others make their leave, that's when you start mumbling under your breath "Ugh. The first time I actually come along to these kinds of things and the people who invited me don't even last until the end," you complain, pressing your face against the wooden table in front of you. "Where's the kid that said he was going to pay for everything? It's just the two of us left..."

Zhang rubs your back in a way that isn't really soothing the way your skin burns from the alcohol, but you're a bit too intoxicated to tell him off. "Aww, don't worry. Some of my pals helped the poor guy home, but he asked the bar to put everything on his tab before he passed out. So if you still want to have a go, I'm down."

You can feel something buzzing in your bag, but it's probably just a text notification from your phone carrier. You've been receiving a lot of those lately. Maybe you should pay your bill soon. But your thoughts about phone bills are rudely interrupted by the feel of Zhang snaking an arm around your waist – pulling you upright as he steadies your shoulder with his free hand.

"Hey, don't fall asleep here," he says. "You're going to feel like shit once you wake up from a drunk nap, you know."

"Don't care..." you mumble, eyelids drooping as you lose your grip on the handle of your glass. "'M so sleepy. Can you get me a cab back home, Zhang...? Don't think I can commute anymore."

Zhang doesn't respond right away, and you nearly doze off in that short bout of silence. But eventually, your desk neighbor helps you back to your feet and walks you out of the bar – exchanging farewells with the bartender on your way out.

The late evening breeze feels chilly against your legs, even through your stockings – yet that isn't quite enough to make you snap out of your drowsiness. You end up leaning against Zhang for support as you wait for him to call a cab, all the while you screw your eyes shut – trying to stop your head from spinning.

"You know... There's a hotel nearby that we can just crash in for the night."

You're too far between consciousness and slumber to fully process what he just said. All you can do is press the side of your face against his shoulder as you attempt not to fall asleep on the spot. But, apparently, Zhang takes your lack of a response for confirmation – wrapping his arm around your shoulder as he leads you to the direction of the hotel. You don't really think of it much, since the desire to sleep is the only thing weighing on your mind right now. You're just glad someone's patient enough to guide you as you stumble around the sidewalk.

Suddenly, though, Zhang's strides come to a halt.

Your mind vaguely registers the sound of him speaking to someone else. Huh. You could've sworn the others have already left. But their conversation lasts a bit longer than you anticipated, and you force yourself to listen in.

"...Thank you for watching out for her all this time. I'll take it from here."

This voice...? Is that –

"U-Uh, sure, sir," you can hear Zhang sputter beside you before you feel him shift your weight onto something – no, someone else. "I don't really know where she lives so –"

You don't really hear the rest of what Zhang has to say because you're distracted by the person who just joined the fray. His clothes feel thick underneath your touch, like tailored fabric made from the most exquisite material, and they carry a familiar scent that reminds you of incense – one with a unique spice, just a touch archaic. You might've been too drunk to tell at the time, but if you had more strength than you did, you would've pushed Zhang away because his touch alone already didn't feel right. With this person, though? You'd gladly lay in his arms for days.

The last memory you have that night is the sensation of being gently ushered into the passenger seat of an unfamiliar car. A soothing voice speaks to you constantly, as if trying to keep you awake. But the gentle lull of his words do little to aid that particular cause, and when he slides into the driver's seat next to you, you're already out like a light.