six

"Ganyu, can I ask you something?"

The next day, you coincidentally find yourself sharing a table with Zhongli's secretary during your lunch break. Ganyu looks up from the salad she's been happily feasting on and flashes you a questioning look. "Of course. How can I help, miss?"

You pause for a while – deliberating whether it's even worth looking into at the last minute – but you've already bothered Ganyu so...

"Do you know a woman named Guizhong?"

You're purposely avoiding her gaze when you bring up the question, casually sticking your fork into the food you ordered at the office cafeteria. But when you notice how Ganyu fell silent for too long, you flick your gaze back to her in the most casual way you can manage. To your surprise, she's staring at you like you just insulted your family.

"H-How did you hear of that name?"

Brows raised, you offer a nonchalant shrug. "Hmm... I was looking through some old company records and found that name listed in the contacts. I just thought you might know who she is."

You're not even sure Ganyu is even going to take the bait for that white lie. There is absolutely no one who knows Wangsheng's documents better than she does. This woman used to work under the Liyue Qixing, so it's only natural for her to be meticulous in every aspect of her duties. But instead of laying suspicion on you like you expected her to do, Ganyu seemingly heaves a relieved sigh.

"Well, yes. Miss Guizhong was one of the company's contacts, but..." She bites her lip, fingers drumming nervously on her thigh. "Please refrain from mentioning that name to Mister Zhongli. As for the reason, it's...quite complicated. I hope you understand why I can't disclose any further, miss."

...So Guizhong is a real person. A real person that Zhongli cares about deeply. But from the way Ganyu responded to your question, things might've gone awry between them at some point.

Why do you feel...relieved all of a sudden?

"Don't worry, I won't," you promise – this time, you mean it. "I was just a bit curious."

The secretary nods. "Mister Zhongli should be coming back today as scheduled. I've already gone over your proposal like you asked, and I don't see any flaws in your plans, miss. I'm certain he'll approve of it."

Way to shift the topic of conversation. You might've applauded her for how smoothly she made that transition, but Ganyu just indirectly reminded you to keep your head in place. There's still work to do, and you shouldn't spend what little time you have fretting about your boss' not-girlfriend.

"Copy that," you tell her, finishing the rest of your food with a newfound resolve.

When Zhongli finally arrives back at the office, you make sure to act like you usually do – timid yet just a touch daring when needed. You presented your proposal to Zhongli and the board of directors, since your boss insisted that they're entitled to study its contents last minute. The idea of having an on-the-spot address makes you queasier than the moments leading up to your monthly feeding. But the entire time, the expectant stares of your other superiors didn't faze you as much. All you can really focus on, aside from the important points you've outlined, are the vibrant gold of Zhongli's eyes – peering from the nearest seat in the front in silent observation.

He looks so composed, like a slab of unmovable stone. You find it quite difficult to believe that your boss and the man who shows up in his dreams – the one with unruly hair and golden ichor horns – are the same person.

Once you're finished speaking, the board begins to ask questions one by one – clarifying some things they wanted you to expound on. Thankfully, you've gone over your report multiple times before coming into the office this morning. Whatever inquiry they could throw at you, you justified with answers based on the sufficient data you've gathered over the past two weeks. You have to admit that being on the receiving end of their impressed stares is doing things to your ego, but what's important is that your proposal has been pretty much approved. Nothing beats a sense of accomplishment, after all.