fifteen

Xingqiu arrives at Hu Tao's quarters faster than she anticipated, blue eyes startled to see the two bodies resting on top of her bed. The director pays his reaction no mind, though. Instead, she fills him in on the situation.

"I had my guards carry these two up here," she explains, pointing a finger interchangeably at you and Zhongli. "That guy, I drugged to put him to sleep so she can get inside his dreams for sustenance. But it's been about three hours, and neither of them are waking up."

"What? She still hasn't fed?" The incubus asks incredulously. "It's been almost a month since I last saw her. Back then, she was already starving. Don't tell me she's been holding out all this time."

"You'd be surprised at the lengths that stubbornness can take a person," Hu Tao chuckles, leaning back into her seat as she twists some of the rings on her fingers.

Xingqiu lets out a long, exasperated exhale as he sits by the bed – watching you and your so-called boyfriend doze soundly next to the other. But your deathly pale complexion doesn't escape his notice. If he didn't know better, he would've assumed you were dead.

"While I am very concerned about my friend's destructive behavior," he begins, casting a sidelong glance at the Wangsheng director. "I'm more curious about why you're helping them in the first place. It's not like you to meddle in things that are none of your business to begin with. And yet..."

Hu Tao sighs. She's been hanging around this demon boy from the Guhua clan for too long. He can already discern what's normal and unusual for her behavior, and she isn't really a fan of being perceived like that.

But unwittingly, his words got her thinking.

"Remember how you pulled me out of the in-between when I tried to reach out to Grandfather in the afterlife? I nearly died because of it," she sighs, remembering her past experiences with meddling none-too-fondly. "I can't just stand here and watch my subordinate slowly kill herself the same way when I know someone who can help."

Xingqiu sighs again. "Director, I'm an incubus, not a miracle worker. Us crossing paths at the in-between was nothing but a coincidence... But then again, that's the same way I met her back then, too." He casts your ghastly form a wistful glance. If he'd known that divulging information about your lover's past memories would lead to this, he never would've said a word.

"I need you to fetch both of them before they get trapped in their own dreams. I'll fork over whatever amount you like," Hu Tao proposes, her usually playful demeanor now replaced by something more grim. "Just – please. Save them."

"...That's a really tall order, you know?" The incubus shakes his head in disbelief. "The in-between is the last place I'd want to hang around, but this woman is my friend, too. You don't have to cough up any –"

To both their surprise (and relief), Zhongli seizes up on the bed, sitting upright as he gasps for breath. Hu Tao uncharacteristically scrambles to hand him a glass of water, which he empties in the span of five seconds. But even if the sight of your boyfriend rousing himself from the dream is a good thing, Xingqiu notices how you're yet to follow suit.

It seems that Zhongli followed his line of sight as well, and both him and Hu Tao can practically hear the sound of his heart plummeting straight to his stomach at the sight of you.

"No," he murmurs, a shaky hand reaching up to caress your face. "Not again..."

Again?

"Xingqiu, change of plans," Hu Tao calls out softly as she meets his eyes. She doesn't even need to elaborate further for him to understand.