ten

Times where you attempt to contact people like yourself are few and far in between. You want little to do in the lifestyles of other succubi and incubi, but it's a different case with Xingqiu.

You met him by chance in the most awkward way possible. One time, you decided that a college boy who once interned at Wangsheng was going to be your target of the month. But on the night you tried to harvest energy from him, someone else was already occupying the dream – doing the things you were supposed to do before you could even arrive.

Long story short, you ended up doing a little snooping around with your targets first before going in for the kill. You wouldn't want to run into Xingqiu in the middle of a feeding again, after all.

"It's been a while," he comments as you slide into the seat across from him. Xingqiu closes the book he was reading and props an elbow on the table, resting his head against the curve of his palm. "I'm guessing this is really important if you came to me for help."

"It is," you sigh.

Your companion nods along and smiles. "Okay, I'll hear you out. Make sure to order something first because I can tell this one's going to take us a while."

Wanmin Restaurant, the place he chose for your quick meeting, serves the best Black-Back Perch Stew you've ever tasted in your life. This makes it a whole lot easier to settle down and explain your situation to Xingqiu to the most minute details. He quietly eats his own food as you tell him about the dreams you experience inside Zhongli's head. How it always takes place in the same setting. How the sequence of events seem to have a linear pattern to them – which is quite rare to encounter in a human's dreams. You've never once felt any sense of order whenever you hopped into the minds of your targets, but it's as if you're witnessing something straight out of a film reel when it comes to your boss-turned-lover.

You suspect that Xingqiu has been an incubus long before you've even been born. In spite of his appearance, you can tell he holds more wisdom about your kind than one would expect. So it doesn't come as a surprise when he quietly hums at the end of your story – an answer already prepared in advance.

"Memories," he says simply. "You're not just witnessing that man's dreams – you're watching his memories."

You frown. "But...that place is something that's straight out of a fantasy novel. Gods and monsters? A world plunged into a war? How could Zhongli have memories of that?"

Xingqiu spares you a soft laugh. "How do creatures like us still exist in a world catered for humans and humans alone? There are many things that can't be explained by pure logic. But I have a hunch that the owner of the memories you see is both your boyfriend and isn't at the same time."

"...I'm sorry?"

"Do you believe in past lives?" he asks. "Reincarnation, exactly. Do you believe that all of us have already lived once before?"

"Are you saying that the stuff I'm seeing in his dreams are memories of a past life?" you clarify, face twisting with confusion. "Xingqiu, isn't that a bit..."

"Crazy? It is," he chuckles. "But like I said, this world leaves a lot of things unexplained. Some details are meant to sound crazy so you wouldn't think they're actually possible."

You toy with what's left of your dish, the appetite you've built up suddenly dissipating at the idea that Xingqiu just proposed to you. So even in a past life, Zhongli adored Guizhong to the point that he'd tear both heaven and earth asunder all in her name. You wonder if the Zhongli in this world, the one you're currently dating, loved Guizhong to the same degree as well. He probably did, and you probably wouldn't compare to someone like her.

"Is it possible for past lives to have some...parallels to the ones we live now?" Your voice is quiet, almost as if you fear for the answer.

The incubus considers the question for a moment. "Well, yes. The saying 'history repeats itself' isn't exactly true because history doesn't repeat itself – sometimes, it just rhymes. But things that occurred in the past can definitely occur again in the present. That's just how the way things are."

You receive his words with a solemn nod, feeling your chest twist uncomfortably. Somehow, you don't really like the sound of that.

"Thank you," you tell Xingqiu when the two of you are done splitting the bill. "You seriously shed some light on a lot of things that were confusing me."

"Don't mention it," he insists, tucking his book underneath his shoulder. For a moment, you think that this is where you part ways, but Xingqiu suddenly pauses – eyes narrowing as he leans closer to you. "When was the last time you fed?"

You're taken aback by his sudden inquiry, but you manage an answer all the same. "Um, a while."

"Well, what are you waiting for? You have a boyfriend that's more than willing to help you, right?" He posits the question like he expected the answer to be yes, but when you shyly avert your gaze, Xingqiu's smile falls almost immediately. "Oh, no. He doesn't know what you are, does he?"

"It's kind of hard to just go off on a tangent and say, 'hey I'm actually a demon that receives my life force from dream sex'," you point out, but know he's right either way. "I...I do plan on telling him. Just not anytime soon. We're kind of busy with a huge project at work, and I can't really drop something like that out of nowhere."

Xingqiu sighs, pinching his nose between his fingers. "But you've been spending a lot of time in his dreams anyways. Am I right? You seem to know an awful lot about his past life now that I think about it."

...Of course Xingqiu's going to be the one who catches you red-handed.

It's really no secret that you still frequent Zhongli's dreams, not to feed but to learn more about the life Rex lived alongside Guizhong. Since you started going out with your boss, the details became more descriptive with each visit. It's as if you're starting to assimilate yourself better in Guizhong's body, and you could glean more insight about that strange, strange world with more certainty. Last night, she and Rex talked about how they plan on transferring the Guili Assembly to the harbor city, where they'll be far from the evil gods that wish to kill them all.

"Well, whatever your circumstances are, you know what happens when you don't feed," Xingqiu reminds you almost grimly, not leaving any trace of his once cheerful façade. "Don't downplay the effects of hunger. We're already an endangered species as is."

As you head home that day, you end up thinking about his warning more than you should. Everything Xingqiu said is in the right – you knew as much. You've had to suffer through the aftereffects only recently yourself, but...

You can take it. Just a bit more.