| Abort the mission. Abort the fucking mission!|

Chapter XVII

Chapter XVII.

| Abort the mission. Abort the fucking mission!|

"So this kid, Rachel, is reuniting with her birth mother who-she didn't even know she existed ten days ago-and then what?"Syd summed up as she stepped through Macy's clothes shelves."A happy ending? That sounds too good to be true if you want my opinion."

It turned out that Sydney hadn't completely forgotten about her disappearance episode.So,she had forced her to reveal the real reason for leaving.And although she had kept the majority of things to herself-especially the masked vigilante part-Jane was relieved to have someone to talk to.

Well,someone who wasn't a teenager.

Jane nodded as she pretended to look at the hanging clothes before looking up at Syd in agreement."That's exactly what I was thinking."

"Wow,I totally didn't see it coming from you."She scoffed with irony."I mean, you're definitely not the type of person who's even wary of their own shadow."

Jane rolled her eyes at the bleached blonde's exaggeration before shrugging her shoulders as she stopped in front of a shelf of plaid shirts."I'm far-sighted. I don't see what's wrong with that."

"Ew."Syd commented as she looked at the shelf as well before continuing to move forward letting Jane do the same, rolling her eyes in boredom."Anyway, why did you leave the kid with her mom if you're so wary of her biological mother?It's not really your type.I mean, you're more loyal to these problem kids than to me."

Jane immediately gave the bitter blonde a sideways glance before letting a faint sigh as she felt a slight shiver creep down her back at the memory flashing before her eyes.

She swallowed as she could already feel her heart racing at the mere thought.

So,she forced herself to take a deep breath before forcing a smile on her lips as she made eye contact with Sydney."Let's just say I suddenly decided to be optimistic."

"Being optimistic has never kept anyone alive."Syd commented immediately,giving a worried look to Jane's back back."You know that better than anyone."

Jane sniffled as she could feel worry making its way through her veins again. She was definitely concerned.

She really didn't know why,but she didn't have a good feeling about Rachel's mother.

They had already suffered enough by going to look for her in this asylum.

How could this frail woman have endured their torture for over five years?

Better yet, where was she and what had she been doing before all this?

Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder,forcing her to look away.

"You okay?"She asked anxiously.

"Never been better."Jane replied immediately, forcing a sarcastic smile in her friend's direction.