|I made her a promise|

Chapter XIX

Chapter XIX

|I made her a promise|

A dozen or so coffees later and one sleepless night Jane, Dick and Donna found themselves on the road again with the firm intention of finding Rachel as soon as possible.

So Kory's prophecy turned out to be far more dire than she had suggested.

"Can you check again?"

"I did."Donna sighed in commotion letting Jane stand between the two front seats in order to participate in the conversation."It's definitely a mission statement for your friend Kory, who's referred to by name or as Night or Starfire."

Jane immediately left a scoff in an attempt to mask the panic resurfacing along her chest."Solar Panel was much better as a supervillain name."

"Kory is not a supervillain."Dick objected immediately by giving her a sidelong glance in frustration.

"Well, it depends on which side you're on."Donna refuted, vindicating Jane before showing the book she was holding on her legs to prove her point. "Look, these words often have a double meaning. Like aloha or shalom, they can mean both 'hello' and 'goodbye'. It say here, Her mission is to secure the Raven. Which could mean 'take control of' or take care of '."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, take care of?"Jane immediately exclaimed with a wide gaze.

"Unless I'm reading this wrong..."Donna said, pausing before looking gravely between Jane and Dick."Your friend Kory is here to kill Rachel."

Jane looked down at the console in Donna's car before repeatedly slapping Dick on the shoulder in panic. "Okay, time to speed it up, birdie. Like right now! "

Donna glanced nervously at the visibly stressed duo at her side before puckering her lips as she gave Jane a curious look."What's your connection to the dark part of Rachel anyway? The crow, I mean."

Jane took her eyes off the speeding road before swallowing as she saw Dick tilt his head slightly to the right, showing he was listening.

She turned her head to Donna before shrugging her shoulders, uncertain."I made her a promise. Even though I suck to keeping them."

"So not a very relatable person, mhm?"Chuckled Donna as she knowingly raised her eyebrows.

Jane tilted her head, wincing slightly."No one's perfect."

Donna nodded sympathetically as she watched the brunette lock herself in again before suddenly pointing to the entrance to the estate at the sight of the sign for Rachel's mother's house.

"It's on your left."

Dick's steering wheel was clearly still in his thoughts before accelerating further as he saw the house and a SUV looming up not far from them.