Chapter 4: Liquid Fuel

After arriving home from your last case in Milwaukee the day before, you carried in your repacked go-bag through the BAU. It was a Friday, but it was better that you were safe than sorry when it came to preparing for another case calling you away. When you sat down and put your belongings in your desk drawer, you took a look at your cell phone. As soon as you turned on the lock screen, you were met with the face of your gorgeous golden retriever puppy, Blue. You ran your finger over the side of the picture as a way of petting her as you did every morning you had gotten to work.

     But before you could get the chance to unlock your phone, a message popped up on the screen. It was from your father texting you for the fifteenth time this week. You sighed and ignored it as you did the prior fourteen messages. Both he and your mother were trying to get a hold of you, but ever since you spoke with Jennifer it just didn't feel right to communicate with them just yet.

     Before you could let your thoughts deepen any further, you heard someone approach from behind your desk. You swivelled around, only to be met with Luke and Tara walking toward their desks. You smiled and gestured to them as they gained on you. Turning back to the case file you had on your desk, you opened it as well as your notebook.

     "Morning, Bec," Luke greeted.

     "Alvez, Tara." You replied, looking up from your papers and smiling once more.

     "Really, there are sex positions that can make a person conceive an ugly baby?" Luke asked as he carried on with his work.

     You were about to burst out into laughter, but waited for a response from Tara. You bit the side of your bottom lip, anticipating the answer as she answered with a 'yes' affirmation. She was hiding her laughter well, as you couldn't believe she was telling him a lie.

     "Okay, what's your proof?" Luke contested, glancing over at you.

     After a few seconds of silence, Tara glanced over at Luke from her desk. "Your mom."

     You couldn't help but laugh out loud, as you never expected such a juvenile yet hilarious answer from a scholar such as Tara. She leaned over the desk and high fived you as she chuckled at her own joke. She sipped on the last of her coffee as Luke looked at her disappointed and at you with a soft expression. You tilted your head in a, 'you asked for it' manner.

     At this moment, you realised that this team was welcoming and was one of the best places for you right now. You decided to stick it out and try to use this team as a learning tool to advance your career.

     While you worked on finishing up your case file, you felt eyes on you. They were Jennifer's eyes, which you looked up at her. She quickly turned away and redirected her focus to her case report immediately and you looked back down. You asked yourself what she was looking at. Maybe it was the same thin lips the two of you shared, or your father's eye shape you had. But as far as you were concerned, you were getting some sort of acknowledgement from her. It was enough for you right now while you figured things out.

     When lunch came, you decided to grab a coffee at the shop nearby. You popped your head in Emily's office to ask her if she wanted one, but just as you headed up the stairs you saw that someone was in her office with her. The door was closed, and so were the blinds, so you turned back and headed back down the stairs to the bullpen. But just as you did, you heard the door open. You saw Jennifer leave her office and walk past you without acknowledgement. You proceeded to turn back and ask Emily the question you were initially going to ask.

     "Hey, Em." You greeted as you leaned against the door frame. "I'm just going to step out to grab some coffee on my break, did you want one?"